Angie's List: Inyone use it?

Good, bad, a con? Couldn't find the subscription price without undue hassle.... They're advertising like crazy, so I figgered it's gotta be on par with
Colonial Penn's guarownteed acceptance life crap.... pennies a day.... yeah, A LOT of pennies a day....
And dat DirectBuy Club, which seems to have fallen by the wayside.... I got a free BBQ out of them somehow, still don't know how it happened.... I think the sales guy was hot for TheWife..... Hmmmmm...... it's been a long time... I should go back, find out if he still wants her.....
--
EA

We use Anglie's list all the time. Every time we need a service (like upholstering a couple antique chairs), a contractor (major bath remodel), etc., we start there. You still want to get competitive bids, but it weeds out a LOT of the bozos. Pricey, yes, but the peace of mind it provides if you have much work done is worth it. Not everyone we have used from the list was totally stellar, but all the work has been at least better than average, and most of it has been excellent. I'm in the Boston area, and there are a LOT of vendors to choose from, many of them folks I wouldn't let in my house based on the reviews. You still have to watch out for flaky reviews from people who clearly have weird expectations.
The other nice thing is that good contractors rely on the List to bring them business, and if there is an issue, they will play nice. If it really gets messy, Angie's List will mediate a dispute.
Also, if you recommend the List to someone and they sign up, you get a free 1 lb bag of M&M's... (hint, hint) :)
Doug White

he

We have a similar thing over here in the UK.
One problem is that competitors put in bad fake reports so distorting the facts. Similar thing with hotels too.
Eventually the whole thing becomes worthless.
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:58:59 -0800 (PST), harry

The Brits do that too with their crime reporting. If 10 burglaries occur in an apartment building..its marked as (1) crime
Gunner

It's one of the things you pay for. I've seen free review services go down the tubes like that because there's no way to monitor them, or provide a way to fight a bad review.
Angie's list seems to do a pretty good job of screening reviews. Companies that care about their reputation can contest bad reviews, and if it turns out to be a scam, I suspect the scammer will get blacklisted.
Doug White

I've used Service Magic a few times. It's free for the consumer, but the contractor pays for the referral, even if doesn't get to bid the job. Does the contractor pay Angie too? Reviews are fine if there are enough of them, but the last few jobs I've had done I didn't even look at them for some reason. Not real expensive jobs, and I've had good luck with contractors. A couple were referred by family, and the others were the first ones who showed up, even when I had subsequent cheaper bids. I have a theory that the first one to show has hustle and good business sense. That theory wasn't "pre-existing" but has come about from the results. Not sure it's true, but seems to be.

About 2 or 3 years ago I saw reviews on the internet reviewing Angie's List and I think the consensus was like 50/50. The gripes were about how they policed the reviews and prevented fraudelent ones. I haven't followed up on this so I don't know if this is still true.
I use HomeAdvisor (formerly Service Magic) currently and it seems to be okay so far but they have had problems and got sued by some of their business clients. I wasn't aware of this till one business client of theirs told me on the phone. It's on the internet too.
On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 13:39:37 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:

We use it, we like it, it's never steered us wrong.
--
Tim Wescott
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:39:37 -0500, "Existential Angst"

I've tried using it a couple times. Seems hit and miss too me. On the Classic car side it was worthless.

A lot depends on the area they serve, how long they've been there and how obscure the category is. They've been in the Boston area for over 10 years, so there's real data on companies in the more popular categories.
Doug White

Angie's List has worked just fine for me for some 15 years (Cleveland area). There used to be just a few listings in each category; now there are dozens. I like the fact that you can call Angie's List and talk to someone who can pick out the listings and rating information for the local businesses too.
Tomsic