Oddball die wanted

Maybe. Or it may have been sarcasm. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Mon, 20 May 2013 13:16:29 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'm having to come up with an inventory of the tool bag for an insurance claim. "Cost?" Um ... it just showed up one day.

pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 20 May 2013

17:03:04 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I have, a swamp ...

pyotr filipivich

Check MSC and Ebay and quote it retail. They dont ask what you paid for it..but only what its replacement cost is.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have a bigger swamp. It covers a big part of Florida. Tourist go in, but they don't come out. The fools think they can feed & play with real gators, and lose every time. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wouldn't that be nice?

Wandering- Metal related banter: Well, I saw the inside of an ER yesterday (and today.) A pristine (used) Chiwanese pruning saw blade decided to jump the cut, careen off a hovering branch, and embed itself a foot away, into the top of my left hand. I lucked out, though. The kitchen faucet washed out all of the debris but I found that the skin was too far open to butterfly properly and I bit the bullet and hit the Immediate Care place. They wanted $192-298 just to walk in, plus whatever a tetanus shot, irrigation kit, and suture kit cost, plus $100/stitch, and they wanted it all RIGHT NOW!

The other option was the "make payments" route. It was a 6+ hour ordeal, but I came out with 5 shiny new stitches, a slightly used stainless trauma kit, and an unknown cost. (I guess they send Guido over to negotiate with us non-rich folks. I dunno.)

I curse myself for not taking my chainsaw along or having gloves on. Either would have precluded the accident.

2 pics:
after initial cleanup and clotting
the next morning, after the ER visit.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bashed my index finger with a hammer really bad last fall while re-roofing. It felt and looked really bad... Lone Ranger project and I was only a third done or so. Washed, bandaged, back at it. I couldn't feel the tip of it anymore. Had to hold nails with my second finger, which slowed me down a little. Damn 1 inch roofing nails making hitting your fingers real easy...

If you don't mind, I'd be curious to hear what the final bill comes to. The numbers you posted just boggle my mind. Unless your picture is hiding something, I don't even consider going in for something like that. Email me if you don't want to post it here. I just don't go to the doctor for anything. Dealing with all the stupid paperwork, unknown cost for everything, whether they will even see you without having insurance... is more traumatic than whatever my problem is.

Best of luck with your oopsie.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

You paid to have that fixed???? Blink blink

Must be nice to be rich.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:kngh3l$23v$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

You're self pay? Then you are being charged the maximum known as the 'chargemaster rate' . Do a web search for it.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

And as someone who's vehemently against healthcare reform, and who has time to waste in this newsgroup but doesn't have insurance, he deserves to pay whatever they feel like billing him. Pay being a relative term in his case. He might make payments on the repair of his booboo, but if anything serious happens to him it will be on the taxpayers' nickel, just like his hero Gunner.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

< snipped >

No! No! You obviously do not understand. It was a wound; the skin was damaged; blood was dripping. Prehaps without a visit to the emergency Clinic he would have died.

Or he could have painted it with Iodine and put a bandaid on it :-)

Reply to
John B. slocomb

A couple things to consider:

  1. Become a plumber. :)
2: Stay out of those expensive places. :( 3: Don't take up chain saw juggling, you can't afford it. ;-) 4: It will heal much faster than this:
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Around here...we would have taken out a bottle of betadyne, irrigated it really well, then irrigated it with betadene (dyne?) and then wipe it externally dry, stick on 3 butterflies to draw it closed and then a gauze pad over it with maybe..a wooden splint in the wrapping securing the two fingers for a few days until the wound started healing at the bottom and gets a good start. If you are in a "infective" area...fill the hole with neosporin from the 99c store.

Check it in a day or two after that, wash it out again , betadyne it again, wrap it with gauze for another couple days, check again, then gauze it until the gauze falls off...or wear a good clean cotton glove to keep it from banging into things too hard. Tylenol as needed.

If you keep the splint in there...the meat will grow tightly and the hand will be so stiff for months..it will be nearly useless until you work with it enough (and under great pain) to get additional meat to fill out the pressure points.

May not be comfy for a while..but it works. Been there..done that many times. Same with the wife, kid and critters. Critters I have to shave and dont use betadyne or neosporin.

Or he could have put in some of his own stitches. Been there, done that..but it is much better if you have a neighbor willing to sew.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If I didn't use my hands to make a living, I might have tried to simply butterfly it, but the gap scared me. I saw tendons and the synovial cap over my index finger joint as the saw was sliding off the skin of my hand. It's no big deal on someone else, but it's scary when you see your own insides. That generally indicates something is very wrong, KWIM,V?

I've successfully butterflied deep meat wounds, but nothing where the skin was floating, such as the skin over my hand.

Har! Hell, Gunner, you make more money than I do annually. I's a po white chile.

Oddly enough, I still haven't been contacted by their financial staff. It'll be a scary moment, but it'll work into a low monthly payment.

Well, until I become rich and famous with the Green Monster...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hah! I'm no stranger to my own blood, but most of my deep wounds had been on meaty parts, like fingertips, arms, and legs. I cut halfway through my thumb and thumbnail once, with the carving knife stopping at the bone. I irrigated, betadined, and butterflied that puppy and it was like new in 2 weeks. In fact, I was laughing when I showed it to Mom. It was her stew meat I was cutting at the time.

I have sutures, the tools for it, but not the will. Not yet. Not until the cull starts or Obama takes (or allows illegals or terrorists to) the nation down. I'm ready, but not that ready yet.

P.S: Skin is tougher than I thought. I saw him fight the brand new sharp through he stuff. Oh, I don't have liquid lido, either. Only the 4% cream used by tattooists.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Learn to love working in shit all day? Pass.

That's my first trip since my appendix at age 19, I think.

Amen.

Whassamatta wit you leggo, Mikey? Ouch. Kick the neighbor girl?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Been there..done that. My hands look like they have gone through a grinder. I repair machinery in machine shops remember...sharp edges and filed with razor sharp chips. The scars run up to my elbow. Its rare that Im not bleeding somewhere..what with the blood thinners.

Shrug

Practice makes perfect!

Feeding 9 people are you?

If I become rich..Idaho sounds like a nice place to live.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Count your blessings!!.

Nekked..I look like a patchwork doll with all the scar tissue.

Fortunately Im seldom nekked in the sun...so most of it blends in. Get a tan going..and I look like a jigsaw puzzle.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No meditation in your life? Learn to do it properly..and you can sew yourself up easily (mentally). Just make sure you have the properly sterile tools. The first one isnt bad. The second stitch is the worst. After that..its doable.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Larry Jaques on Tue, 21 May 2013

21:17:01 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Dad cut his hand open Christmas day, with his new pocket knife. Shows the wound to Mom, she says "Show your Father" He says, "that's serious, get your coat." (My grandparents were farm kids.) Dad said it was because he ran a newspaper route in Worcester Mass in the winter, his hand was tough enough that the Doc broke needle sewing him up. I'll take him at his word.

pyotr filipivich