Oil for plain motor bearings?

Hi,

Just a quick question. What oil would you use in a small motor with plain bearings? Usually I put SAE 90 oil in larger motors with plain bearings, and it seems to work fine, but I'm not sure what's best for a little motor. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I use ATF most of the time. Or a NonDetergent 30 weight

Whichever is cheapest at the autoparts store at the time. Gunner

Gunner

I've been using ATF most times. On occasion (where it does not seem to last nearly long enough) I will put in synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

If you are using 90Wt gear oil... it is about the same viscosity as

30wt motor oil....
Reply to
Gene Kearns

On 22 May 2005 18:26:37 -0700, the inscrutable jim rozen spake:

How do you tell it doesn't last long enough? When it's knockin' around and needs a complete rebuild, or when you just start noticing extra noise?

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey Chris,

That's what 3-in-1 oil was made for. Either that, or Singer Sewing Machine Oil. And years ago there was the very similar Electric Motor Oil, but that's gone now. There are undoubtedly better and cheaper things available, but at least you know what's in those cans two months after you got them!!

Take care.

Brian "Owner of hundreds of oil cans filled with Mystery" Laws>Hi,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

The bearings will seem to dry up and require oiling more often than I'd like. I've noticed this in the dehumidifier fan, and also the ceiling fan in the bathroom. I was hitting those twice a year, but since I started using the mobil one, it's gone to every other year or so.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen
3 in 1 makes an oil in a blue can labeled for fractional HP motors. Overlubrication will kill a motor in a hurry by holding all the dirt. Sometimes you can turn a motor with plain bearings 90 or 180 degrees in a belt driven setup and use the part of the bearing that has not yet worn egg shaped. One can is only a few Oz, 3 If I recall but consider 1 teaspoon=100 drops.

My big peave is the small tefc motors that are welded shut.

Reply to
bamboo

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, 3 in 1 oil is what I've been putting in the smaller motors so far, but I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts. I've got a few nice little motors which aren't welded shut (they're virtually miniatures of larger machines, apart from the shaded poles) and I want to take care of them. One will be installed in my rock tumbler soon. Any idea how often I should lubricate the motor if it's running all the time?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

3-in-1 tends to gum up pretty badly after a while IMO.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

AC service guys use this a lot:

would oil evry 2 or 3 days.

Reply to
wws

Oilite(one brand of sintered bronze bearing) bearings are impregnated with SAE 30 oil at the bearing factory.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Yup, turbine oil is the stuff. The local True Value carries the Zoomspout brand, it's over in the swamp cooler supplies. Works well for any fan or blower with sleeve bearings. It's just a thin oil with no additives. Doesn't gum, either.

I've never had good luck with 3-in-1, it always gums up eventually.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Turbine oil.

Reply to
oparr

I use SAE 10 (ISO 46) machine oil for small electric motor bearings. This comes dear in the stores. I suggest trying McMaster-Carr:

select page 1991, and scroll down to Machine and Turbine Oil, and choose ISO grade 46.

BTW, we had a "broken" fan motor in the shop a couple weeks back. Made LOTS of noise and seemed out of balance or something. I blew it off with the air hose, and, surprize!, found felts for oil above each bearing. Saturatated those with oil and lo and behold the noise went away. Almost completely. Pays not to neglect these things.

Reply to
freemab

The 3 in 1 motor oil in a blue is different from the 3 in 1 in the red can, doesn't seem to go gummy. Still all in all I like Hoppes #9 as my after shave

Reply to
bamboo