Old Skil Saw

One of the fellas at work brought in a strange piece. It is a Skil Saw Model J. The largest blade you could put on this saw would be 5". The shoe is about 2 1/2" wide. There is no blade guard. It does not have a trigger switch, it is an on-off ball ended toggle. Yes, this thing is dangerous by today's standards. It is a full barrel saw. The castings do not match a Model E or a

77, but the diameter and length are within fractions.

Does anyone have any information about this critter? I have sent off to Skil, but have not gotten any response.

Reply to
DanG

I have a similar saw made by "Power Electric Tools" that I haven't gotten to yet other than to cut the frayed cord off. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

This one runs like the day it was new. It very definitely has the original factory name plate: SKIL SAW in all capital letters, I don't have the serial number here.

Reply to
DanG
5 1/2-inch handheld circular saws used to be common, even predominant (before 1960 or so). I have a Black & Decker one from the 1970s that I like because it is so lightweight. Blades are still available.
Reply to
mc

"mc" wrote in news:JYqwj.109229$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

They're even back in production again.

I bought one - on sale - about a year ago.

Lightweight plastic housing makes it very easy to handle.

For heavier work, though, I've an old Singer-made Craftsman Commercial

7 1/4" saw with a cast Aluminum housing [heavy thing] that's easier to keep going straight on long cuts.
Reply to
RAM³

Reply to
William Noble

William,

I would like a picture of yours, if possible. There is a hinge point at the back of shoe on this one that leaves me curious. If you truly don't want yours, what kind of shipping or whatever?

Reply to
DanG

Reply to
William Noble