on-off switchable magnetic holders

I got interested in these gadgets after an inquiry from a correspondent.

You can buy on-off magnetic bases *with* a cheapo (but functional) dial indicator from Enco for $24.95. Sometimes they're even less on sale. I now recall buying one of those for Kevin's bicycle-wheel truing stand. However, I don't think they have anywhere near the "grab" for given size that one built with a Neodymium-Boron (NdBoFe) supermagnet would have, and making one would be easy-peasy for a HSM with a VISA card (for the magnet), lathe, mill, and hacksaw (ungh!) or bandsaw. I played with some simulations today, one using a magnet 9/16" x

1-1/4" x 1/8" ($2) and one 1" x 2" x 1/2" ($13). I did the sims with a simple but pretty accurate FEA program that does 2D modelling of magnetic fields.

The holding force I got with the little one was well over 100 lb, that with the larger one was 320 lb! This would vary some with specific construction and materials, of course. I modelled easy-to-make clearances of .005" and used a generic B-H (magnetization) curve for iron or steel. Making the clearances .010" wouldn't degrade performance much. . The little one would be 1-3/8" long with endplates, about 1" thick and 1" high if one used a 3/8" aluminum or brass top plate to provide threaded mounting holes to mount something to. The bigger one was

2-1/8" long, maybe 1.5" and 1.5" on other dimensions -- I don't recall exactly but close enough. Many other variations are possible using various magnets available from

The little one would be about the size of an ice cube. You would

*not* pluck this sucker off a milling machine table without a prybar when it's "on", while the "off" holding force looked like a pound or less. I've not built one. My simulations usually prove to be reasonably accurate but ultimate truth is always found at the bench.

If interested in a conceptual sketch and further drivel, see

Don Foreman

How would you get enough force to turn the rare earth magnetic holder off? Leave a hole for a pry bar?

Reply to
Beecrofter

It takes surprisingly little torque to rotate the magnet if the concentricity in the hole is accurate. The field energy changes very little with rotation (a few millijoules) so very little torque is required to rotate it. It "lets go" because the MMF vector is parallel to the work surface so ideally zero flux is induced in the space between work surface and poles.

Reply to
Don Foreman