one-shot oiler

Can you recommend an antibacterial agent?

I wonder if a UV bulb or LED would inhibit or kill bacteria.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I use the same one that I got as a free sample from ITW a couple of years ago. Im not sure of the name on the bottle but it doesn't take much to do the job. I would bet even a diesel fuel conditioner would work. 'Prist' would probably work, the stuff they used to put in Jet fuel before they premixed the additives. Anything that is made to kill those little suckers before they crap in your oiler.

John

Reply to
John

John, do you have any experience with Chiba or other metric components? I suspect some of the metering units on my Supermax mill are clogged, but have been reluctant to tear into it without having a good source for replacement parts. I have worked on Bijur systems.

The system is plumbed with 4mm tube. I don't know what the threads are on the metering units themselves. Any insights or advice before I pull things apart? Vendors for replacement parts?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Greetings Ned, I had to clean all the metering orifices on my Bridgeport mill. I used Vactra #2 from when I bought the machine new because Bridgeport recommendeds it. Eventually the filter in the oil reservoir and all the orifices became clogged with some type of waxy substance. I was able to clean all the parts up with stoddard solvent. As I recall I soaked the orifices in the solvent for a couple days and then pumped the solvent through them to clean out the wax. I seem to remember that they all had a one way valve in them. They may also have had felt filter inserts in them. If they did I pulled them out to clean them. It took about 20 years to clog the system. I now use this stuff called "Hydroclear" for way lube. It resists washdown from water soluble coolant better than vactra and does not leave a waxy deposit in the system ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Don,

The one thing on my BP that isn't top notch is the one shot oiler... It's a home brew rig done bythe guy I bought it from.

It's a CHIBA pump that goes to a small manifold that has around a half dozen needle valves on it which all connect to the various lube points (yes some connect to several points). The lube points have no metering valves they are just plumbed direct.

It took quite a while to dial in the needle valves and I'm sure it's over oiling ( all ya gotta do is look at the puddle on the base, but it does work...

And yes one of these days when I get rich, I'm gonna re-plumb with metering valves... just not this week

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

I spoke to a tech at Bijur when I was fixing up my 10EE and he warned me about the waxy residue. He said that the lube manufacturers had increased the tackiness additives in waylubes over the years to the point that it had become a problem for their lubricators.

I'll pull my metering units and try cleaning them as you suggest, but I'm not real optimistic. When I got the mill the pump had some pretty nasty goo in the bottom of the reservoir, probably as a result of getting contaminated with soluble coolant, and I imagine that's what clogged the orifices.

I'm about out of Vactra, is Hydroclear available in gallons?

Ned

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Greetings Ned, I don't know if Hydroclear is available in gallons. I buy mine from Cutting Tool Control in Seattle, WA. Their phone number is

206-789-7277. Don't give up cleaning the metering units. The waxy stuff in the bottom of the oil reservoir on my mill was about 5/16" thick and really tenacious and gooey. Pumping solvent through worked really well. It also cleaned out all the oil lines. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thanks for the encouragement, Eric, I'll try the solvent treatment.

Ned

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Wonder if this might be a good application for an ultrasonic cleaner? Anybody tried it?

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

That may have been key to restoring those I replaced. When they plugged off the second time, I couldn't get anything to penetrate them. I found, when I dismantled one of them, that the accumulated varnish was difficult to dissolve without some kind of agitation. Soaking, alone, made no difference, and I couldn't establish flow that was measurable, so running solvent through them didn't work.

I feel my problems could be somewhat unique in that my mill sat for years with almost no use, then spent four years in a container, exposed to extreme summer heat and cold winters. The varnish had a long time to form an attitude. It sure as hell had one.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Second sending = 1st one sent evidently "lost" . (Ken.)

Don, How 'bout just ONE pump, and a multi-directional selector valve??? Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

It made it OK.

Second reply: That'd work. Maybe some sort of spool valve?

Reply to
Don Foreman

I was thinking sort of a disk, with a channel milled into it, that would fit inside of a hole in a square block (fitted with o-rings to prevent leakage) and made so that the feed from the pump maybe could be going into the center of the disk and the disk could be rotated inside the hole in the block to send the oil to the correct port. A couple of pumps, rotate to the next port, couple more pumps, etc., etc. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

I like it! Thanks!

Reply to