Reassembling one shot oiler tubing

I took the table and saddle apart on my (new to me) Bridgeport to give them a good cleaning and had to pull out the two tubes feeding oil to the nuts for the table and saddle screws in order to do the disassembly.

Tomorrow or Sunday I'll have everything cleaned up enough to do the reassembly. If I just put the tubes back in the holes for the two nuts will they stay put and not leak, or do they need some sort of glue or sealant? Is there any secret to this part of the reassembly?

TIA

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I would recommend cleaning out all the lines and checking to make sure the metering fittings are working properly. Also it is a worthwhile idea to clean the filter on the oil tank. You have to take the top off the tank and on the bottom side of the pump there is a screen and filter. I can't remember if the metering fittings are mounted on a distribution rail or mounted separately but you have to check for proper flow.

There are two types of metering fittings, continious flow and a one shot type. The continious flow has a screen in it and a limiting port opening. The one shot has a piston, spring and filter. The fitting is stamped as to the quantity of oil it delivers per shot. The one shot happens when the line is pressurized to 50 lb. or so. The piston is pushed forward and delivers the drop of oil. By pressurizing the whold system all the metering fittings get oil and each will deliver the amount equivilent to the stamped numbers on its side.

John

Reply to
john

Yup. Did that. I used a needle and syringe and pumped kero through each line to get rid of any crud that might have been in there, and confirmed that each line was working. When I took it apart I noticed that one line wasn't delivering oil - the outlet hole and the oil groove it fed was filled with sticky grease-like crud. I blew air through each metering filter to be sure it was open.

Thanks. I didn't know about a filter in the tank.

Mounted on a distribution rail on the saddle just under the table.

I remember seeing "1" stamped in all / most of the metering fittings going to the table / saddle / nuts.

Thanks,

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

here are a couple of sites with some info on the metering fittings:

This site shows the fittings and describes the types and what the stamped numbers on the side mean.

make sure the little arrow on the fitting is going in the right direction as to oil flow. on a metered fitting you will need a pump to check it out since the piston plunger allows only one drop of oil to come out for each time you put pressure to it.

John

Reply to
john