Replacement One Shot Tubing

Our shop has a used excello bridgeport clone with an original accessory one shot. In the process of moving the machine into the machine room, the flexible rubber tubing that connects the one shot to the cross slide (X axis) for oiling of the table ways was slashed, and it was wearing out anyways. Does anyone know where to obtain replacements. The tubing uses compression fittings that look like about a 3/8-24 thread with an integral compression washer. It's not the tubing I can't find, it is the tubing with the special fittings crimped on. Anyone who can help in locating this part, thanks in advance.

Eagle Strike--Los Altos High School Robotics Team

Reply to
woodworker88

I can't help you find that part, but I can offer an alternative (that would likely be less expensive): modify the line to accept common automotive brake/clutch hoses. It should be fairly easy to remove the old flare nut from the metal tubing, put on a new one that matches automotive hydraulic hoses, and re-flare the tubing. And then, you'll never have a problem getting future spare hoses.

Just an idea.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Take the old hose to any shop that makes up hoses. Can't believe they couldn't make up a new one, even if they have to use the old fittings, assuming they are proprietary. They likely are not, though. I've had countless hoses made that way.

By the way, the slide to which you made reference is called the *saddle*, not the cross slide. That's a lathe component.

Good luck with the hose!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

The hose is probably made by Bijur lube systems. That company makes most of the lube systems used on machines. I stock most length sizes of these hoses or you could probalby get them from MSC.

John

Reply to
john

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll try MSC, and I'll also talk to the auto shop teacher at our school. He would know about the car hoses. Also thanks for the clarification in terminology. Thanks again, Eagle Strike

Reply to
woodworker88

FWIW, I been there done that on an Excello. Only place I found them was at a place that rebuilds machines. And I looked EVERYWHERE.

He gave me a small stockpile for future repairs. But I ain't sharing. Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I recently replaced both flexible hoses and tubing on my milling machine oiler. MSC has all the parts you will need. They are manufactured by TRICO and fit all the major lubricator manufacturers. The following is the MSC part number for a 4" hose: 00147249. This number should get you to the page where you can select the length you need. The picture on the page is misleading. They show tubing, but what you actually get is a wire wound flexible hose with a straight length of tubing on each end where you install the compression fittings. The compression fittings are on the same page. Your system probably is like mine and uses M8x1.0 fittings. If you need 4mm sleeves for the compression fittings don't buy the TRICO ones. MSC has

4mm sleeves (Cat. No. 03751815) for $0.21 each versus $5.65 for four TRICO sleeves. I hope this helps.
Reply to
craftsman_ron

I went ahead and ordered the parts the other day. I'll let everyone know if they fit. The hose was 4mm which cost $20! Stupid metric system!

Reply to
woodworker88

What are you blaming the metric system for (and why)? The cost of the hose? I'll wager that the cost has a lot more to do with the economic principles of "supply & demand" than it does with metric sizing. Most machine replacement parts are expensive, more so for infrequently-replaced parts.

I did suggest earlier that you look at automotive hydraulic hoses for brake and clutch lines. There are many that are metric sized (and not just for Imports, as even American cars are finally moving to metric). Of course, even an automotive brake hose would probably cost around $10 so it's not like you would have saved a huge amount of money.

I assume that you're a member of the Los Altos High School faculty or staff. As such, you should know that the metric system is not stupid (and I certainly hope you don't impart that attitude on your Robotics Team students, many of whom will probably go on to engineering or physical science degrees in college where they will be working almost exclusively with SI units). In fact, a far stronger argument could be made for the stupidity of Imperial measurement systems.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Sorry. The metric system comment was ment sarcastically. I completely understand the rarity issue. As a matter of fact, I am a member of the drivetrain subteam and the team woodworker (a student). Check out our website at

woodworker88