OT Absurd in England

There are two stories worth commenting on.

First was the ongoing saga of the guy that had built his house behind the straw bales has now appealed the order to tear down his home.

Hang in there.

Next a guy was convicted of possessing a firearm someone tossed in his back yard when he picked it up and turned it into the local police station.

Power corrupts.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

As a UK resident I rather think this law exists to protect us from this sort of abuse by the rich, powerful, or just bloody minded.

It's quite a nasty catch, this "strict liability" principle. There's some logic in preventing people from "wriggling out of" some offenses. But I imagine, if I were in this position, I might not have realised the trap, and done exactly the same thing. I'd expect him to get some sort of conditional discharge, but it sounds like he's left with a criminal record.

Reply to
newshound

I live here in the UK, and I dispair a timesat the political correctness that has taken the place of common sense. There are cases like this in all walk sof life here and its time that there was a revolution to throw out all the power seeking control freaks who have taken over our country. In this case, if anyone finds a fire arm, then it just wont get handed in. Hoiwever on the otherhand if your ill and need a doctor or emergency hospital care its free at the point of delivery. Its buracratic and creaky but it works.

Reply to
Ted Frater

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:45:17 -0000, the infamous "newshound" scrawled the following:

Had the guy known what was in store for him, he could have gone in with the shotgun loaded and blown away Garrett. The penalty would have been the same but there would be one less asshole in the Brit police now. God, what a crock of shit that arrest was!

And just look at the violence in the UK nowadays. That's a _direct_ result of the disarming of the public. Fidiots!

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ah yes revolution. Picture Runnymede in 1215 if only King John had weapons...

Sire, we demand you grant the great charter we have presented to you here today.

"Kill them"

1776. A group of American colonists were irked and wrote a few words "When in the course of human events..." If they did not have arms...

"Kill them"

The Hungarians were upset in 1956 with their Soviet Masters...

"Kill them"

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:08:57 +0000, the infamous Ted Frater scrawled the following:

Ted, when you see our second revolution start, might it be the right time to start your own across the Pond?

The Law of Unintended Consequences wins one for the masses!

What do they do when you come in with a gunshot wound? Fine you for possession of an illegal lead object and haul you off to jail?

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

mmenting on.

In the US, it would point out the proper use of 'jury nullification', which few seem to know about.

Dave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

Jury nullification is illegal, at least in California. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it still isn't legal.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

It is legal in CA and England also. What is not permitted is for a lawyer or a litigant to discuss it in court.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Actually what isn't legal is to propose or argue to the jury that they ignore the facts or the law and do "what's right". That, as a matter of law, is what constitutes jury nullification and it's not legal - even in a Federal Court.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I think that is want I said.

The act of the jury nullifying what the jury believes to be a bad law or an inappropriate application of a good law is part of the system. Myself I see no difference between this and a prosecutor electing not to prosecute a given case.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf