OT an interesting experience

Today was a good day. Yesterday was too. That's two in a row, a first. Both were mostly pain-free with some very enjoyable periods.

I had a scheduled physical today, which required me to fast for 12 hours before and abstain from alcohol for 48 hours preceeding. That was a bit of a nuisance because I've enjoyed taking the edge off about wine-thirty as my daughter describes end of afternoon, but no big deal.

At the blood draw this morning, the young gal that stuck me thought she remembered me. I said I'd been with Mary McCann the day this lab technician had such trouble finding a vein and getting a draw because of Mary's edema and low BP on Wednesday 16 March.

Oh, yeah, she remembered that very clearly. How was Mary doing? I told her. She wrinkled, made me stand up so she could give me a big hug, and it was a dandy. That melted me right down for sure, but it was more cathartic than painful.

Mary had that effect on caregivers: they all loved her within minutes of first encounter. I think they liked me too. Even when things were difficult, we never stopped being cheerful, encouraging the young caregivers that we knew they were doing their level best and we appreciated it, and the quietly playful (and sometimes spicy) banter Mary and I so enjoyed never stopped until I left her to die in Rochester. Her last words to me were "go home, Foreman". She was smiling, comfortable in a hospital bed at Mayo, with a cloud of medics trying to get an IV started in her nearly unfindable veins due to low BP and significant edema. Her last word to me was "Foreman". She loved me big, huge. I was rather fond of her as well.

I did not expect that she'd die anytime soon. The prognosis from exam and lab results that day were very encouraging, thumbs up and cheers from Dr. Chee at Mayo. The chemo was working, the incurable amyloudosis was under control, she should start to heal as long as chemo could keep the amyloidosis in remission.

Then she died. I felt like I'd been hit in the gut with a shovel when I got that totally unexpected call.

The disease had caused more dmage to heart than the weakened body could recover from by the time the amyloid dragon had been brought to bay with chemo. I miss that playful banter a lot every day. It was a significant part of our everyday life. We loved amusing each other with the sometimes pungent verbal ping pong that always resulted in laughter.

I wish the show had lasted longer, but it was wonderful fun for so many good years. I told the lab tech young woman that Mary was a very special friend. She quietly said, "so were you."

She hugged me again before I left.

There are times that I'm glad I live in Minnesota. It's easy to feel that way this time of year.

Tulops have emerged and bloomed in Mary's garden. I invited her two best friends (other than me, of course) to come cut tulips for their tables. Mary would like that a lot.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Might try a few more days without alcohol. Everybody is different, and I enjoy my occasional libation. Sometimes two or three, but remember that alcohol is a mild depressant. Personally I prefer to have a couple when I am feeling good, want to relax, and don't have anywhere to go. Of course, like I said, "Everybody is different."

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Heck Don, I still miss my ex at times. There were good times along with the bad times that lead to ending the marriage.

I hope you run into someone, when you are ready, that can replace some of what you have lost.

Soldier on,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I went out drinking with friends last weekend and got really plastered. Knowing I was totally shitfaced, I did something I have never done before. I took a bus home.

I arrived home safe and warm, which surprised the hell out of me as I have never driven a bus before!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Soldiering on as well as a 69-year-old vet can soldier.

I won't even think about replacement until I've finished grieving enough to be happily solo and not needy. That takes a while. Don't know how long that might take but I'd guess most of a year. That's not a pleasant prospect but nobody ever promised that life would always be fun. I've low-crawled this sharp-rock terrain before, unwillingly divorced at about age 40 with young family ripped from me. Then Mary happened in my life. That was miracle 1.

I already know that no one could ever replace what I've lost. That's impossible because the relationship I've lost was crafted by both of us over most of three decades. Well, maybe two decades because we finally married in 2001 and our lives since then were shared joy every single day. It really was that good. We made it so as job 1.

I presuumably will eventually get thru the grieving process to where I'm ready and able to build anew if opportunity should occur. I must get comfortable living alone in my own skin before I even think about new relationships. New will not be replacement, it will be new and different. Probably strange at first, a bit scarey for both parties, and it may not work for one or the other of us for whatever reason, but good shit does happen now and then. Hope is not a strategy but openness to change sometimes works well.

I have had two miracles in my lifetime. The first was when I found and won Mary after most of a year of healing from a divorce I didn't want but was inevitable. The second was when I survived May of

2008. Several medical professionals asked me if I had any idea how lucky I was to survive that.

There have been recent days when I have doubted how lucky I was to survive that, but I did get another very happy couple of years with Mary before she checked out way too soon.

Soldiering on.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Groan! ;-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've often noticed that when God closes a door he usually opens a window.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

For you to jump out of. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But, The best way to get back on your feet is to miss a car payment.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia