OT: Anyone for a high-performance personal submarine?

Would metal or fiberblass be better for these things? $85k is just too much, even as fun as they look to use.

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about a home brew from the past..

Steve W.

That's not really a submarine. It's GAS powered, for Pete sake!

Reply to
CaveLamb

MUCH better price; nothing similar in performance, though.

-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--Not really a submarine tho; ballasted all wrong and because of air breathing propulsion it can't stay down for more than a few seconds.. It's been around for a while too; I remember seeing it on one of those Aussie hip-science shows maybe a decade ago..

Reply to
steamer

one! I've yet to see photos of anything except the small model of the real thing.

Reply to
steamer

It reminds me more of a jet-ski than a submarine, albeit a jet-ski with very little visibility.

Of course, if you really want a sub you could always get the harbor freight version:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Yeah, they called it a submersible, not a submarine.

With THAT performance?

I've always wanted the one the kid, Lucas, made for the race in the SeaQuest DSV series. It'd do 130 knots without trying. FUN series.

-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

_________________________________

Its impossible to defend against any government , they charge you taxes to pay armed , killers , to kill you for not paying taxes , to pay the killers , to kill you .. its a catch 22 ..

++++++++++

Steel is more reliable , easier to fab , DIY hydraulic hammers to forge the rings

Very low cost SUB , mine dives nose first , so ppl stand up , surrounded

by windows , umbilical to surface tender , sends down air and electrical ,

this sub is for rich ppl , not 40 midddle class passengers ,

in its vert position , crew below can help rich guy , down to SCUBA exit ,

then rich man gets bored w SCUBA , he can re enter sub from battom ,

climb up to his room and eat lunch , surrounded by windows of sea creatures ..

Middle class ppl must do a Chineese fire drill to go diving ,,

im workin on a speedy 80 foot steel sailer , forged steel , free standing masts ,

its a fast ocean crosser ..

Looking for a place in Sea of Cortex to weld it up ...

Reply to
imagine

What's the cost of a wetsuit and scuba tank?

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why not just a snorkel and bare feet?

How fast can you fin? How many skiers can you pull? How many passengers can you handle while finnin'?

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Can't stay under for more than a minute or so, and bare feet aren't very good for propulsion, unless you're Mark Spitz. ;-)

How many skiers can you pull with a "personal submarine?" How many passengers can you carry in one?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise