What's a "Guided Tower"

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.
I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most dangerous job in America.
http://www.workerscompinsider.com/2010/09/you-think-your.html
I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.
Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?
Thanks guys,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:45:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia

I can't imagine a 1700' unguyed tower. Must mean guyed. I've seen the jumble of steel on the ground on the news when one of those things comes down.
Pete Keillor
jeff_wisnia wrote:

It's simply copy written by someone without a clue. It's simply a guyed tower. I also seriously doubt that tower work is the most dangerous job in America by a long shot. There is a lot of safety gear used and when the weather is bad they simply don't work. Nothing like those crab fisherman or numerous other occupations working in far more dangerous conditions.
Pete C. wrote:

Commercial divers and weldors are at or near the top of the list.
John
john wrote:

You're right about that, at least for commercial divers.
The eighth paragraph on this page says the fatality rate for divers is 180 deaths per year for each 100,000 employed divers.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/offshore-dsv.htm
The chart part way down this OSHA page says the rate for tower workers is 183.6 per year for each 100,000 workers.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=SPEECHES&p_id 67
I've run out of time, so I didn't look for data on welders, but I'd bet commercial underwater welders might take the prize for highest fatality rate. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=SPEECHES&p_id 67
Welding does not increase the danger to a diver by a very large degree. Welding underwater is considered easy diving. Getting everything rigged up and in place is the hard dangerous part. Underwater electric cutting can be hazardous, but that's because you are cutting things into parts that have to fall off or down.
Steve - ex commercial diver, ex tower worker, and ex weldor.
On 09/15/2010 11:45 AM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

A guided tower is just like a guided missile, only the control system is lots easier.
I think it's a clueless author -- if it gets by the spell checker it must be right. I have an IEEE Spectrum magazine with an editorial that talks about a helicopter flying in "Map of the earth" mode -- that's NAP of the earth, you dingbat!!.
Call it the New Illiteracy. Or maybe the Newel Iterate Sea.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
On 9/15/2010 3:16 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Based on workmans comp rates, hard-hat divers was and always will be the most dangerous. Particularly in the bridge construction business.
Paul
The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower". Doesn't anybody proofread these things.
The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having panic attacks and fleeing.
Bob
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:45:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that it's actually "guyed," but some hotshot journalist thought he heard "guided", because he'd never heard of a guy wire.
Kinda like people who go have their pet "spaded." ;-)
And Geordy LaForge talks about an "energy dampening field" - can't have that energy drying out, now can we? ;-P
Cheers! Rich
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Rats, the video already got pulled.
I always miss out on the good stuff.
Jon
On Sep 15, 6:57pm, "Jon Danniken"

Look here:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1284570385
Cross-Slide wrote:

Awesome, thanks for that.
Jon
Cross-Slide wrote:

Gone from there too already. Here's what the "owner" of that video says caused him to take it down:
http://www.theonlineengineer.org/TheOLEBLOG /
The reason I made my OP asking about the use of the adjective "guided" was because that spelling appeared in the intro portion of the video, which seemed like a fairly professional piece to me.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
-0400, jeff_wisnia, snipped-for-privacy@conversent.net wrote:

A bunch of copies have shown up on Youtube, but they get taken down quickly. As of "now" this one is still up (for those latecomers like me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4OyFFrB9Us

--
☯☯

Cross-Slide wrote:

Well, as of Thursday 1:30 PM Eeast Coast USA time its still up at:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i d_1284588370
If gone from there just Google +"Stairway To Heaven" +tower and you'll find lots of other locations.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I just started watching that. "Why are my nuts drawn up so tightly, my breathing fast and shallow, and my heartbeat accelerated?" I wonder.
I understand that flagpole painting is another fun job like this one.
-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey
Larry Jaques wrote:

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop to the ground. ;-)
enough left over to pay them.

Site Timeline