What's a "Guided Tower"

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most dangerous job in America.

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Ignoramus12523

I can't imagine a 1700' unguyed tower. Must mean guyed. I've seen the jumble of steel on the ground on the news when one of those things comes down.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

It's simply copy written by someone without a clue. It's simply a guyed tower. I also seriously doubt that tower work is the most dangerous job in America by a long shot. There is a lot of safety gear used and when the weather is bad they simply don't work. Nothing like those crab fisherman or numerous other occupations working in far more dangerous conditions.

Reply to
Pete C.

A guided tower is just like a guided missile, only the control system is lots easier.

I think it's a clueless author -- if it gets by the spell checker it must be right. I have an IEEE Spectrum magazine with an editorial that talks about a helicopter flying in "Map of the earth" mode -- that's NAP of the earth, you dingbat!!.

Call it the New Illiteracy. Or maybe the Newel Iterate Sea.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Commercial divers and weldors are at or near the top of the list.

John

Reply to
john

Based on workmans comp rates, hard-hat divers was and always will be the most dangerous. Particularly in the bridge construction business.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower". Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having panic attacks and fleeing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that it's actually "guyed," but some hotshot journalist thought he heard "guided", because he'd never heard of a guy wire.

Kinda like people who go have their pet "spaded." ;-)

And Geordy LaForge talks about an "energy dampening field" - can't have that energy drying out, now can we? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You're right about that, at least for commercial divers.

The eighth paragraph on this page says the fatality rate for divers is

180 deaths per year for each 100,000 employed divers.

The chart part way down this OSHA page says the rate for tower workers is 183.6 per year for each 100,000 workers.

I've run out of time, so I didn't look for data on welders, but I'd bet commercial underwater welders might take the prize for highest fatality rate.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Rats, the video already got pulled.

I always miss out on the good stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Either an error in pronunciation, or in hearing. It is "guyed" tower. Meaning it is stabilized by "guy wires". Steel cables to hold it up in the wind.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Welding does not increase the danger to a diver by a very large degree. Welding underwater is considered easy diving. Getting everything rigged up and in place is the hard dangerous part. Underwater electric cutting can be hazardous, but that's because you are cutting things into parts that have to fall off or down.

Steve - ex commercial diver, ex tower worker, and ex weldor.

Reply to
Steve B

Look here:

Cross-Slide

Awesome, thanks for that.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Guided Tour ? ;-)

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Its sloppy writing, hopefully not by the same Junior CEO who is in charge of the structural integrity safety "certification" - possibly the same guy does "gas pipeline certification" as his second job. Perhaps he also checks the reasons that "people from places that we all know are not friendly even though we have bought the current brutally repressive government " want to learn how to fly big passenger aeroplanes.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Everything we hear on the news is correct, with the excpetion of those things we have personal knowledge about.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Gone from there too already. Here's what the "owner" of that video says caused him to take it down:

The reason I made my OP asking about the use of the adjective "guided" was because that spelling appeared in the intro portion of the video, which seemed like a fairly professional piece to me.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Well, as of Thursday 1:30 PM Eeast Coast USA time its still up at:

If gone from there just Google +"Stairway To Heaven" +tower and you'll find lots of other locations.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I just started watching that. "Why are my nuts drawn up so tightly, my breathing fast and shallow, and my heartbeat accelerated?" I wonder.

I understand that flagpole painting is another fun job like this one.

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques