What's a "Guided Tower"

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop to the ground. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That would be especially easy for you, Michael - you could hold two extra paintbrushes in your feet!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Cynic

quoted text -

There are a variety of shows on Discovery, Science Channel, etc. that show people doing jobs like this. One showed changing a light bulb at the top of the Golden Gate bridge. I got a little queasy watching that. Another showed a crew working on the antennas on top of the Empire State building. The crew chief on that job was in his mid- fifties(as I am). I was amazed that they didn't plan for easier climbing when they built the tower. It involved climbing past obstacles that stuck out a couple of feet.

I've flown open-cockpit planes, but I get nervous on ladders. Go figure. I did work on the roof of a 50-story building in NY a couple of years ago, and was nervous getting anywhere near the parapet walls. I'm glad that somebody does this work. I'm more glad that it isn't me.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Yawn......

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Many pilots have fear of heights. I've flown in helicopters with the doors removed and had a blast. I've also have a slight wave of anxiety when standing out on a narrow ledge.

In my youth I had to climb a 125' tower every once in a while. I just kept telling myself that you can fall and die from 15' just as easily as 125'.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

As I used to tell my skydiving students, the fall doesn't hurt but that last 1/8" is a bitch! Jim D-4501

Reply to
Jim Chandler

That's cool, thanks, I thought they where going to be successful on taking it down. People need to get a grip, so what... If that is the way it is done then so what ! If the insurance companies are so worried about it just connect each worker to each other and one must have a line attached at a time. Hmmm that won't work, it will get caught way too many times and endanger them more.

Hey, I put up flood lights on the gable ends of my house yesterday and at 15 feet I'm about ready to just freeze and clutch the ladder. But, I can walk right up on the edge of a bond beam of a 18 foot deep pool and lean over and drive in a concrete nail with no problem.

I thought crop dusting was the most dangerous or close up there. I've stood in a crop duster going under power lines, that was cool, can understand why they almost always duck when going under. I probably would have ended up crop dusting or even worse if everything didn't go to shit as usual. Would have paid better than pools.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Try climbing a 130' TV broadcast tower with no safety gear, then watching the Norther Lights for three or four hours while sitting near the top. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I painted four floors of a hospital stairwell one night after a dozen beers and local anisetic to remove a self inflicted fishhook from the back of my neck. When we reached the ground floor, there was nothing left to expel! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'll bet that the orderlies wanted to put that fishhook back in you.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, unless he _drank_ too much paint and...

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A bunch of copies have shown up on Youtube, but they get taken down quickly. As of "now" this one is still up (for those latecomers like me):

Steve Ackman