OT: Appendicitis

Totally out of the blue-

6/11/05 12:00 pm. A stomach ache started; not too bad, probably that burrito I had for a midnight snack the night before. The discomfort slowly progressed, and I threw-up 3-4 times that evening. The next morning, I felt incrementally better, and chanced to eat a muffin and some milk to see if it stayed down. 45 minutes later,(1:00 pm) the pain very suddenly broke the meter. It took me right off my feet. I have never experienced such deep, constant, gut wrenching pain in my life. I crawled to the phone and got EMT on the way. I spent the transport time and in the ER intake literally screaming in pain. Good thing I had my medical insurance card with me. Your just a piece of meat without it. I was given an initial morphine shot, which helped considerably. The on call surgeon examined me and informed me I had a perforated appendix. 30 minutes later, I was in the OR. My appendix went from initial symptom to rupture in less than 24 hrs, and my doctor informed me a delay of only several hours getting to ER would have spelled my death. I spent the next week in the hospital, recovering from the effects of peritonitis, which had already started by the time I was operated on. I'm still off, slowly starting to feel normal again. I am impressed by the efficiency and professionalism with which the health care system responded to my emergency. So, how's your appendix doing? I seriously recommend you have it removed before something happens. A simple procedure if it is not inflamed. I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy. JR Dweller in the cellar
Reply to
JR North

Very happy to hear you made it JR.

I read your scarey post just after returning from my Rotary Club lunch meeting where someone at our table told us that a club member's sister had died from appendicitis last week .... at age 41.

This in Boston, a world renowned center of medicine.

I'm glad your guardian angel wasn't taking a day off.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Happened to a co-worker. Similar story. He said it was the most painful experience of his life. I think he was out for about a month for recovery. I think he cut it pretty close as well.

JW

Reply to
jw

Glad to hear you are doing ok. My dad went throught that (at age 64 in

1980) just after having four-way heart bypass surgery. I remember the doctor did not sew up the appendicitis incision for a week or so because it was still draining poison. Gack! Jim
Reply to
Jim Steeby

Congratulations on making it. I had mine removed when I was young, although they got to it before it burst. I know it was really a sickening feeling, but I don't remember as much intense pain as you experienced. The up side is, after once, it doesn't have to be experienced again.

This would obviously be one of the things to have a plan for, while going off camping or some activity in remote locations.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Glad you are alive. My wife's uncle died from peritonitis, which is what you have.

Ignoramus9053

Welcome back, JR. Hope you are 100% soon.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

No, he had a bit taken out. 99.8% is all he can be from this point on.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

My wife went through this about 4 years ago.

Bad pains over the weekend, took her to the emergency room on monday, operated monday night, went home on wednesday. Bad pains again on friday, back to urgent care, CAT scan, raging peritonitis, 2 more weeks in the hospital with IV antibiotics, two drains into her abdomen, front and back, blood transfusion for low blood pressure and another CAT scan.

Yeah, real scarey.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

[ ... ]

Ouch!

I'm glad that you made it. Now -- get better at your own rate, so you can be in the shop again without problems.

Best of luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I had a very similar experience when I was in the 3rd grade. Went from bellyache to writhing and screaming in maybe 4-5 hours. I still remember how badly that hurt. Mine had ruptured, I spent 12 days in the hospital, sick as a dog, and a few more weeks at home after that. For 25 or more years after that, whenever my mother would run into the pediatrician around town, before he said hello, he would say "God was with you, Mrs A."

Glad you caught it when you did. Here's to a speedy recovery!

-AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

Let me add my congratulations on your escape from a serious life-threat, and my wishes for a full uneventful recovery. Now, for my questions: 1.) I have never heard of a preventive appendectomy. Is this done? 2.) I had always heard that the pain subsides if the appendix bursts. Is this not true?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

AFIK, it wouldn't be an elective? procedure. My guess would be that there are certain situations where it might be done as a preventive measure. Crew on the space station, or other aerospace candidate.

Dunno about the pain.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Mine was removed in 2003 after it burst. Yes the pain does subside after it ruptures, giving the false impression that improvement is imminent - it's not. The doctor told me that most women have the surgery before it breaks, whereas men usually arrive for surgery after it has already ruptured.

Reply to
IBM5081

My pain was just as severe but it hadn't burst before the operation. It was bad enough that if the doctors had said I was beyond hope and they were going to shoot me I would have offered to load the gun.

Sounds like you are getting better, so get well and back to posting Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

My wife had a bad appendix. It was mis-diagnosed by two doctors. Finally, her gynecologist figured it out. He said she had to go in the hospital tonight. The next day he told me she would have died at home that night if she hadn't come in. They were not able to remove the offending organ that night because the infection was enclosed in a softball sized membrane. It had engulfed one ovary. They installed a drain and she lay in the hospital several days getting better. Per the doctor's advice the appendix was removed about six months later. To JR: I sure am glad you survived. It seems that many people die from appendicitis even today. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I got an attack of kidney stones about 75 miles from the nearest hospital while on a fishing trip. That was a $1,000 ambulance ride.

It hurts so much, you think you are going to die, and afraid that you won't. I thought when something hurt that much, you just passed out. You don't.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yeow, bad stuff.

Good to hear you got past it and that you're on the mend (as they say).

John

Reply to
JohnM

My wife had appendicitis when 8-1/2 months pregnant with our first child. First time I took her to the ER they didn't know what it was and told her to go home, use something like alka selzter for gas. We were back inside of 18 hours with the pain severely worse. They considered appendicitis but couldn't guarantee that that was what it was for some reason. This was 24 years ago. Said they'd open her up to see if that was what it was. It was. Had a drain in her for a while afterwards. What I remember most of the ordeal was the stench of the stuff coming out of her when I had to clean the drain and the fact that we were scared for the baby.

Lane

Reply to
Just Me

And how did the baby do?