OT: Assault bill expires

Now that the law against "assault weapons" has just expired, what are we allowed to purchase? large mags? bayonets on shotguns? etc? Some please explain. Thanks

Reply to
Chief McGee

It wont expire until Monday at midnight. Keep holding your breath

However, Unless you live in Kalifornia, which has its own draconian AWB laws that do not expire, you will be able to purchase the same handgun magazines that the police are now allowed to have and that handguns have been designed to use as standard for a bit over 20 yrs..magazines with more than a 10 round capacity.

Rifles with pistol grips, bayonet lugs and a flash suppressior, all on the same rifle. (and flash suppressors do NOT hide the flash..only direct it out of the shooters aiming path.

It will not allow you to buy fully automatic weapons, unless you live in a state that allows them, and you pay the appropriate federal taxes etc. This was not effected by the AWB.

this may help

The Nasty Features List that is the criteria for banned rifles.

B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of-

(i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii)a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii)a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (v) a grenade launcher

I live in California. So the AWB expiring does nothing for me. Sigh..and I really want an STG-58..

However..it will make standard capacity magazine prices drop like a rock. Where magazines for my ParaOrd P-14 (14 rds) once cost $35 each, they went to $130 each after the ban went into effect. They will return to normal pricing again and in fact manufactures are taking pre orders. They are still illegal to be brought into Kalifornia as the the law here grandfathers existing large cap magazines but bans new ones. But oddly enough..there is no requirement for them to be dated or any proof of age to be kept. So its likely that all the new magazines being produced in mass as we read this, will have been purchased way back in 1989.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

The law never prohibited purchase of anything made before 1996. Since there were literally millions of pre-96 high capacity magazines, pistol gripped and bayonet lugged rifles, etc in circulation, the law really had no effect on what you could buy. There was never a real shortage of any of these items, or their cosmetically different, but functionally the same, counterparts which were not on the ban list.

The law's expiration means the US manufacturers of the 19 named firearms will be able to crank up their production lines again (jobs). US makers of large capacity magazines will be able to crank up production lines again (jobs). Etc. The main effect for the consumer should be a small drop in prices for these items, new or used.

You will now also be able to legally assemble a firearm with features banned for new civilian production after 1996. For example, you will now be allowed to install a pistol grip stock, bayonet lug, and flash suppressor on your post-96 rifle. Or you can fit a bayonet to your post-96 shotgun.

The law was merely a pointless exercise in politically correct cosmetics. Anyone who tries to tell you that it had a *practical* effect on reducing crime is either misinformed or lying.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

"Gary Coffman" wrote

A woman is angry with her husband because he has been porking the babysitter. And her sister. And about eight of her friends.

She goes to buy a gun because she wants to kill a varmint. She sees a nice shiny pistol. The salesman says that she has to take training because shooting a pistol accurately takes practice. He tells her that with a pistol, she needs to wait a few days for the paperwork to be approved.

She asks what else he has.

He pulls out a bargain single shot shotgun. No need to really aim it, just point it, and it can be deadly in total darkness. He tells her that she can take it with her right now.

So much for gun control, restricting the sales of weapons, and having an effect of saving lives.

BTW, don't forget all those dangerous kitchen knives ........... ala ............ Lorena Bobbitt .................... What's next in this PC crazy world? A tactical kitchen knife ban?

Safer baseball bats or background checks for purchasers?

Rope laws that say the rope cannot be strong enough to choke someone with?

But then, again, weapons bans can have a good side. Just look at a well known public figure that wounded himself three times. And that was AFTER having training. AND with government issued weapons and ordinance. They gave him that stuff, and they think I'm the one that can't handle it? What's up with that?

.................. sigh ....................................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You think you're kidding, don't you?

It's already happened in some places -- notably California. As long as people continue to confuse neutral things with bad people we can expect such silliness to continue.

--RC

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Rick Cook

"SteveB" wrote: [gun laws]

I want a nuke. Anyone who thinks I shouldn't have one is a commie bastard trying to enslave us all!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

The sword/long scary knife ban in Australia comes to mind.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I hear there are some good tactical shoulder slings, though.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Hum - bone cutting knives - sorry surgeons - have to use hatches again!

Santa Cruz - went non-nuke (some time ago and an easy way to keep the Navy out). The doctors and pharmacies objected - had to get them and the patents permissions.

Mart>>What's next in this PC

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Run off the family that has a General in their tree ? or A war weapon or trophy...

I think the diamond nail file will be next - diamond cuts and is tough!

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"Is that a rocket in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"

Reply to
geoff m

The last ultra small nuke was the ill fated Nuclear Hand Grenade, W42, Mark2.

It had a killing radius of 250 meters, but could only be thrown 75 meters.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Will they work on gophers ?

I know a golf course grounds keeper that can use them.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
AZOTIC

LOL, Caddyshack... Bill Murray Lives On!

Intrepid

Reply to
Intrepid

Sure..but they tend to make really deep fused sand traps.

Hope he can throw farther than 250 meters

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

I doubt there will be much change to the firearms production lines. Most of the makers just started making other models. Colt, Bushmaster and others simply dropped the flash hider and bayonet lug off the AR-15 and kept right on making them. That's what made the law such an idiotic piece of legislation.

Steve. Who has two AR-15s, labeled "His" and "Hers"

Reply to
SteveF

Yikes - One time user. That is, once thrown, won't have to do it again.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn