OT: baking for tomorrow

I just put a chocolate pecan pie in the oven. It's going to smell good in here in a little while. My mom had some dynamite recipes before she passed 15 years ago.

I can still make that stuff, just can't eat it. My doc put me on Sugar Busters, so I don't even taste it any more. I was always more of a meat and vegetables guy anyway.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

Pete Keillor

PS. We went down to the coast for Dad's birthday on Monday. He's 95.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

He dares defile The Chocolate with _nuts_? Blasphemer! You'll have some good smelling blasphemy, though.

I switched off sugar to saccharine (coffee/tea) and Splenda (or equivalent, for all my baking) 20 years ago.

I still avoid all diet foods, but I lost 25# by watching my portions and asking myself, as I ate, "Am I still hungry?", stopping when the answer came back "No." or "Not really." 10-12 weeks and it was done. My blood pressure reduced itself considerably as a direct result. My Doctor was a happy lady.

I eat full-fat foods and find that they satisfy me much, much better (even with smaller portions) than anything diet ever could. I end up eating fewer calories and am never hungry, as people usually are on diets. Diets tend to put the body on Starvation Alert, where it automatically stores fat. (To hell with that!)

Try Mary Enig's book _Eat Fat, Lose Fat_ for a taste treat, too.

Yummy coconut oil and coconut foods.

Ditto, all!

Wish him an HBD for me, Pete.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Every year I make a pecan pie. Everybody says that mine are the best. Since I can't eat pecans or walnuts I haven't ever tasted one of my pecan pies. If I did I would probably change something and ruin it. Eric

Reply to
etpm

The wife baked the chocolate pies on Monday and the apple pies this morning . They're snugly packed in a custom foam carrier for the trip to Memphis . Leavin' in a little while when the wife gets off work so we can be there in the morning when the little vultures get up . Merry Christmas !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:ogJmw.376155$ snipped-for-privacy@fx17.iad:

Mamma made all the cookies and pies over the last couple of days, and the

20-hour brisket is on the smoker right now, due to be in the holding chest by 8am.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Did you get the Kindle version?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

For the last ten years we have made up to 150 dozen cookies. I don't eat more than 6 cookies all season. Sure they smell good but the just don't make me crave them, in fact they repulse me. This year we only made 6 doz. and a few small specialty cakes. Still repulsed by sweets. But a good croissant is a different story...but I can't make them, too difficult.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

No, hardcover. Extremely informative, some interesting recipes. Here you go: $5.75 w/ free shipping from an eBay vendor. "trade cloth" must mean hardcover

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I made bread and fudge. Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I've found that powderized nopal, flax seed and linaza dietary supplements get rid of unwanted fat pretty well.

Reply to
mogulah

Tapeworms are cheaper, and probably taste a lot better. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I made about 1.5 gallons of very garlicky vegetable beef soup today. Yum! It's about time to cook up a sourdough garlic roll to go with it. My neighbor gave me a breadmaking book for Christmas. Now that I have time (cold/rainy season) I'll be doing that. Don't you love the way the house smells when you make fresh bread?

The sugar-free devil's food cake mix is on the counter for me to mix up and cook one of these days, too. Pillsbury super-moist, $1.86 at Wally World. Just Do It! Man, they are good...

My sister gave me some **metal** for Xmas: A Lodge 3qt cast iron cooker and fry pan combo. It definitely takes 2 hands to lift. (Jeeze, I must be getting old.)

Larry Jaques

One of my gifts to myself was bringing my cast iron cookware home this trip . Just finished a plateful of hashbrowns and scrambled eggs and man-o-man was that good ! I've also got the rest of my greensand supplies and my table saw here so now I can get busy on building beehive components for next spring .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Cool! I wish I had tried to salvage some old cast ironware from my old house. Roommates had set 3 pieces (7 & 10" skillets, 5qt covered pot) outside in the rain and had, at least twice, sprayed them with pesticides when spraying the perimeter of the house. Dogs and cats had marked them, too. Had I known then what I know now, I'd have boiled muddy water in them. Soil apparently breaks down RoundUp on contact. Roommates: Just Say No!

Carry on!

Reply to
Larry Jaques