OT be careful driving through Illinoisstan

I want to report my recent sightings, that, in my interpretation, indicate much increased police activity towards fining motorists.

  1. The recent story with near impounding of my perfectly legal trailer.

  1. Today I had to drive 15 miles on a highway and back, twice. (took my son to a sunday school where he learns Lego robotics). I saw at least 8 state police cars with speed radar guns, and 5 or so ones in the process of stopping motorists.This is a very unusual number.

The state of IL is near insolvency, and many municipalities are in a bad financial condition also, desperate to raise money in any way they can.

This is my explanation for this high level of police looking for someone to fine. From now on, I will be driving at the speed limit speed until I see some changes.

Ignoramus27323

Same thing here in California. We had a guy working off a 1000 dollar fine by community service about two months ago because he'd tossed a butt on the street. He wasn't even driving and the patrol car had to turn around to nab him.

Yesterday, between San Diego and LA, I probably saw 30 CHP cars pinching speeders or preparing to do so. You might normally see one or two with someone pulled over and another couple of radar cars on the roadside.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Iggy I am making another trip to Indiana and I have to go through Chicago. What is the best route from Wisconsin. I was thinking of going though Milwaukee and taking 294 to 80 then east. Thanks for the heads up on the cops. Steve

Reply to
Up North

Last week in north las vegas they were targetting drives that were not stoping for pedestrians in a cross walk. $700 fine for that offense.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Suffer stoicly while driving lawfully until enforcement abates.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I would take 294, and if it says 55 MPH limit, I would drive 54.

Ignoramus27323

I must be low on Testosterone, I always drive the speed limit, keep a safe distance, obey all the laws and drive defensively. But, I see a big increase in enforcement. I'm glad there are so many volunteers to pay THAT tax so that I don't have to.

Reply to
Buerste

The fine was for illegal dumping of deadly carcinogenic substances, not littering. ;)

Hope you are feeling better,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I used to try to never exceed the speed limit by more than 7-10 MPH. An speeding on my part would be unintentional, from not paying attention to signs etc. From now on, though, I will try to drive under or at the speed limit.

Ignoramus14095

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:31:59 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus27323 scrawled the following:

Some quietly anonymous letters to the editors around town might shed some light on this dastardly plot the communities are now perpetrating on innocent citizenry, Ig. Evil plans can't stand the light of day. Our local lovelies have gone as far as doing stings on us. tey have a citizen-looking guy dressed upwith a reflective jacket attempt to cross the street as you approach. He puts one foot into the crosswalk and then backs up. If you don't stop for him, the bike cop with the camera gets you and gives you a ticket, a moving violation. Cha Ching! I saw the cop when they tried this on me, so I stopped. Usually, when a pedestrian backs up, they're waiving right-of-way to you. I think they got 100 people with this one before the papers broke the story. They got their quota that month, that's for sure. They very day they got funding to put patrols back on the streets, the radar cops came out and doubled it, too. The Republik of Oregonstan is in on it.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 04:36:03 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

And if not that, "illegal creation of excess CO2" or "attempted arson" might do. Watch for it at a cop shop near you!

I'd like to find (and do more than just arrest) the asshole who emptied his overflowing ashtray on the street right in front of my house last year.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If enough people do this, it will no longer be sufficient to avoid ticketing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

"Excess unlicensed personal methane production".

Ignoramus14095

Taxes are like feeding sharks. They just multiply, and need more food.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As long as you comply with the "Left lane for passing only", have at it :)

Reply to
RBnDFW

If they did that here in DFW they could fund all local government indefinitely.

Reply to
RBnDFW

"Hark! Was that an unregulated release of carbon I just heard?"

Reply to
RBnDFW

PLUS 7 ??? A long time ago I learned that the stated accuracy of speed radar was +/- 4 MPH. So, I always tried to keep within 4 MPH of the posted speed. If they get you with a reading of 64 MPH in a 60 MPH zone, then you can go to traffic court and ask what is the stated accuracy of the radar. When they tell you it was 64 MPH, you can argue that with a +/- 4 MPH accuracy, a reading of 64 doesn't actually PROVE you exceeded the limit that day, as the radar could have been reading high under the conditions that day. They HAVE to let you off under those circumstances.

I have no idea whether the radars still have that error margin, or if the makers of the radar guns have improved. I'd assume the laser systems hold a tighter tolerance, as the radars are all based on the wavelength of the Gunn oscillators, which are not tight-tolerance microwave sources.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I tend to drive on the slow side. I live in deer country, drove hundreds of thousands of miles on country roads and never hit one. There was a tense moment today, however, both the deer and driver were embarrassed for not having our poop in a group. He didn't notice me coming, I didn't notice him hidden in the brown roadside from a recent winter thaw. I'll be happy when the grass is green again and offers a contrasting background.

No animals were hurt in todays commute.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I don't think there's a typical. Its so easy to check, everybody should just do it. Drive 60 and look at the second hand when you go past a mile post marker. You should pass the next one 60 seconds later. My truck is off 3 mph, the pickup 1 mph.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend