OT Browser

I was trying to remember that the other night. Thanks
- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX
Richard wrote:

Ubuntu is not only free but you can order the CD and get free shipping. If that is not enough you can order more than one copy for the same "price". I ordered several and gave them to interested friends.
If you are reluctant to get into Linux google for "reatogo" (www.reatogo.de). There is a bit of a learning curve to make the bootable CD but you can run XP off the CD just like you run Linux with Ubuntu. You now have a familiar OS and can work on the system files on your computer which ordinarily would be unavailable because they were in use. It is slowly as you might expect as it runs from a CD but it does run
Nice way to by-pass passwords and delete "un-deleteable" files. As soon as you shutdown this XP evaporates.
Dave Hinz wrote:

That's pretty cool. Is that something you buy at a retail software counter, or online?
Rex B

www.knoppix.org
Its quite good.
www.mepis.org is very good. Ive got an early distro installed on a spare box and am using it as a server. Ive modified the box serveral times, and am having an issue with the browsers understanding Im actually on line.
The modem will dial, log in and just sit there. When I installed a proxy server on my personal machine..and set up the proxy values..it goes on line very well. Just not via the modem (s)
Ill do a full reinstall maybe tonight or next weekend and see if there is an improvement.
Ubunto is supposed to be very very good..but you have to install it on a seperate machine..as it installes itself completly..including formating your drives, as I understand it. I may be wrong with the latest distro.
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/releases/warty/release/warty-live-i386.iso
This is a working link to the "live" distribution. Cut it to a CD and run it from there.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

If you meant Ubuntu you are wrong. It runs from the CD without installing.

You're both right. The Ubuntu "Live CD" runs off the CD without touching the system. The standard distribution installs as normal, on the hard drive. Same functionality, but the liveCD is great for testing systems to make sure they'll work with the real install.

As I thought. I had an early distro that automatically installed to HD and wasnt sure that it was changed or not. My current copy was from another person and wont even boot on my machine. Ill need to find someone with broadband to get another copy of the latest.
Gunner

I've got SuSe 9.0, and could set up a dual boot, but don't really see any sense in clobbering half a hard drive with Linux and the other half with windoze. For about a year I had one Linux box and a windoze box, found out where windoze pukes, Linux doesn't have any problems. (500 frame POVray animation, three versions of microsoft couldn't complete it, Linux ran it without a hitch.)
Most of my programs are ported for windoze, Mac, and Linux, there are only a few that I use that aren't. Serif Software Movie Plus is one that isn't, and it's a damn nice program. I haven't looked at everything that's available for Linux yet, there might be something similar that would work just as well. Open Office does just as well for me as the MS, (multiple sclerotic) would, POVray runs under either, the Gimp has pretty good editing features. Best thing about Linux progs are that bugs tend to be fixed quickly when reported.
For now, though, I'm just tickled that Firefox and Thunderbird went in as easily as they did and without any problems. It's great having some control back without trying to find where they hid it.
Rich.

I have tried downloading and booting a linux iso CD file but my computer seems to ignore it (I can boot however from the CD with a Windows boot disk). My computer is about 10 years old and I wonder if the bios does not recognize iso extensions (or some such). Would anyone know what the problem might be??
I'd like to try the Ubuntu linux but don't really want to do a three hour or so download unless the file is going to work.
Laurie Forbes
Did you use the burn ISO image option in your CD writing software. If you just burned the .ISO file onto the CD that won't work.
Laurie Forbes wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:49:31 +0000, David Billington

You can get a CD free from the following URL... http://www.ubuntulinux.org /
There are several hoops to jump through as you need to register. I have done so and have not had a problem with unwanted email or junk mail. I did receive the 5 CDs I ordered.
If you download an iso file you can not just burn it to a CD.
If you are using EZ CD creator
1.select "Create CD" from File menu. 2. find the iso file on your HD 3. Click on the "Files of type" dropdown box and select "ISO Image Files (*ISO). 4. Select the ISO image file 5. Make sure that the "Write method" is set to Disc-At-Onnce" and Close CD. 6. Click OK twice.
OR 1. Double click the ISO file on your HD. This should open CD Creator 2. Three options are available...Test, Test & Create CD, or Crate CD. Either of the last two are OK. 3. Be sure the Write Method is set to Disc-At-Onnce" and Close CD. 4. Click OK
If you have Nero or some other burning software the directions will be different but will have a procedure that doesn't just copy the ISO file to a CD.
The easiest (but slowest) way is to order the free CDs.
Now your BIOS must be able to "Boot from CD" and must be set to use that option.
The "reatogo" XP CD also takes you through burning an ISO image file. This will give you XP running from a CD.

Yup, you just need to burn that .iso file to a CD-R. Your CD burning software _should_ recognize it, just double click on the .iso and nero or whatever you use will say "Ah, you want to make a CD from this, right?" or something to that effect.

It'll work if your burning software understands (or can be made to understand) what to do with an iso, no worries.
Dave Hinz wrote:

One other thing: Make sure to download the iso image file in binary mode (FTP). By default some browsers download in ASCCI mode which corrupts the image. HTH John
--
I'm getting old, I can't make up my mind:
When my glass is full, I want it empty.

I've been running Fedora on 3 boxes here for quite some time, and RH9 before that on the server. Never had a problem with internet access.
The main thing to remember, is that very unlike windoz, which has every damn thing enabled by default, *nix, in the majority of distributions, has very little to nothing enabled by default. If you want it enabled, you have to enable it, including what specific ports you want open. A bit more of a PITA, yes...but inheritly very, very secure.
--
Anthony

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ditto!
Although with Firefox you may not need them as much as with IE. With IE as your only browser they are absolute must have programs.
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com
Larry Fishel wrote:

Then there's MSC and Enco's sites, where whatever they use to tell whether Javascript is enabled doesn't like what Mozilla is answering. So I keep IE around mostly for them.
Tove
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:58:12 -0500, Tove Momerathsson

When was the last time you updated Mozilla. I'm currently using Mozilla Firefox and have no trouble with MSC's web site. I did have some trouble with my older version of Mozilla.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Wayne Cook wrote:

I checked out Mozilla vs MSC at work and it's just fine.
So the problem is at my end, either how I have Mozilla configured (and yes, Javascript _is_ enabled) and the firewall and other assorted stuff between me and them.
Tove
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:58:12 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Tove

I have had no problems with either site using Mozilla 1.0 through 1.0.7, Tove.
Weather.com has been hosed for months, though, giving me "too many redirect" errors in all browsers since around September. I'm going through Yahoo now.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================