OT Browser

for too much "baggage" try Start>Run. type "msconfig". Doesn't work with all windoze, but for XP you get a window that lets you turn off the excess.

refusing to boot, good luck. The restore disk will take care of that, but you're back to square one, praying that you've got backup on everything.

Linux can catalog and move files around in the windoze part, but I have no idea what result you'll get.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

It just mounts that partition like any other file system, lets you manipulate files or other data any way you want to.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I was trying to remember that the other night. Thanks

- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX

Richard wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Nope, I don't leave AVG running in the background. The only time I use antiviral software is to check a specific file that I have downloaded from the net, and then I shut it off.

I do leave a firewall (ZA) running, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Wow, I like that site; Thanks; it has all of the information I like on one page, right up front. I used to like weather.com, but they dumbed it down so much with empty space and ads that I don't go there anymore.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Ubuntu is not only free but you can order the CD and get free shipping. If that is not enough you can order more than one copy for the same "price". I ordered several and gave them to interested friends.

If you are reluctant to get into Linux google for "reatogo"

There is a bit of a learning curve to make the bootable CD but you can run XP off the CD just like you run Linux with Ubuntu. You now have a familiar OS and can work on the system files on your computer which ordinarily would be unavailable because they were in use. It is slowly as you might expect as it runs from a CD but it does run

Nice way to by-pass passwords and delete "un-deleteable" files. As soon as you shutdown this XP evaporates.

Reply to
Unknown

If you meant Ubuntu you are wrong. It runs from the CD without installing.

Reply to
Unknown

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:56:21 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jon Danniken" quickly quoth:

That helps a bit, but what about downloads embedded in News posts?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Never had gone to weather.com - I rely on Unisys and wunderground.

is a good site - but one of my all time and very old sites - when it was their hobby to do it -

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A month or two ago, using both Spybot and AdAware. All it ever finds are tracking cookies, which I really don't have a problem with

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Well, for one thing my news server (news.individual.net) is a text only affair, but even still, just downloading something isn't the problem. Running executables from an unknown source is what causes infections. For another thing, I set OE with high security, since I only use it for text anyway (or maybe images sometimes).

Jon.

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Hmmm. I seem to remember that the KAK worm was transmitted through Email, also it's written in HTML, which OE happily accepts without question, and launches when you open that email. Doesn't even ask you about it. But, if you're happy with Ie and OE, have at them. I like being able to say what my box does and doesn't do.

But then, with email, I've settled on what I call a "reverse killfile", if your name isn't on the list, into the bit bucket and I'll never know it was sent. The Yahoo addy that came with SBC global probably has a bunch of spam in it, but I never open it anyhow, don't care what's there.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

I set up OE to read as "text only", which is how it should be anyway. In any case, one "I seem to remember" cite doesn't exactly substantiate your previous claim of "magnets for virii of all kinds" now does it?

Anyway, use whatever you want. I use IE and OE and have never had an infection.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:56:27 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Richard quickly quoth:

I don't like IE but have to use it for several sites, such as my banks. FIDIOTS, they. And I couldn't use my older copy of Eudora when I moved up here and started using Starband. It wouldn't work and the techies there said it couldn't work, so I fell back to OE. I immediately turned off the preview function which automatically opened every single email.

I do business online and have to accept email from strangers far too often. But turning off the preview function in OE worked. Now if there is any question as to the validity of the email, I view it as text first. NAV is there to back me up if I accidentally open one, as happens if I don't look through the new email list before opening mail. If I delete the viewed message, it automatically opens the next one in the queue. Thankfully, the anti-virus program catches those few slipups immediately.

I've had a love/hate relationship with NAV since the day I installed it. There was a virus on my computer which went into effect the second NAV was installed, forcing me to get onto another computer to download the fix. I lost all use of my computer for 3 days whenthat happened.

And I used to suggest McAfee for clients back in the days of BBSes. Then I had a client with a problem and couldn't get a response from them for a week and told them I'd never put their program on another computer.

So, what else is out there that people trust for killing virii?

-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us...

-- Wisearse Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:48:57 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

Great, now I have 6 copies of Mozilla running concurrently. Hey, interesting page. I'll have to bookmark it.

Ooh, there's a big storm just offshore just below me. Mt. Shasta and Mt. Siskiyou are gonna get hammered. To see my closest mountains via the OR webcams via

: http://167.131.0.179/Pages/CCview.asp?CCPageName=Jake's%20Page%202005I really love seeing live video feeds of the passes I need to go through to get where I'm going during a long trip.

Also see

for another good site. Yahoo has both their video and data feeds and weather.com's. I just found a link to see weather in Canadian cities and chose Vancouver. The weather gal happily stated that current temps were above zero at 4, and the weekend looked good at 10 degrees! Um, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! They want too much for premium (ad-free) weather, though. $80/yr.

-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us...

-- Wisearse Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Apparently sarcasm is a bit over your head. KAK, or Kagau Anti Krosoft was a relatively benign virus, it popped up a window, witn a short and stupid message. If you clicked on any part of that window, the computer shut down. But, like 99.999% of all virus, it was targeted to use weaknesses in MS software. That's also when I decided that enabling auto protect in Nortons was a good idea.

MY guess is that your ISP has better protection in their system than you have in yours. Before I installed Firefox I had installed:

Popup blockers Cookiewall Naviscope Zeroclick

All of which allow that which M$ doesn't, meaning blocking those things that have no right to exist.

I don't need them now.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

Give Thunderbird a try. Works for me. OE specific sites, I just decide they don't want me to see what they're offering. I also don't do my banking by internet, there are no numbers in this machine for anyone to steal.

My method might be a problem there.

Necessary evil. Slows things down, but not as much as even a benign virus. A rock and a hard place.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

You're both right. The Ubuntu "Live CD" runs off the CD without touching the system. The standard distribution installs as normal, on the hard drive. Same functionality, but the liveCD is great for testing systems to make sure they'll work with the real install.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So basically, when you get called on a bullshit statement that you made, you just call it sarcasm after the fact, eh?

*plonk*

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

OH, Goodie! Jon can get a global Plonk! and it won't even bother me at all now. Anyone dumb enough to use IE and OE without an active antivirus, I don't want to see or open anything that comes out of that machine. Bye-Bye, jon. (MIssed cap deliberate.)

Reply to
Richard