OT Browsers OT

Did I mention this was OT. I don't want some idiot blathering that it's not metal related.

Please help me wrap my brain around browsers. I recently updated to IE8, and I hear people say how great Mozilla and Firefox is, and what a POS IE8 is. What, basically are the differences, and how will it improve my life?

BTW, this is an OT post. Make a note of it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I cannot help you compare Firefox and IE8, but enwer browser Google Chrome is even better than Firefox.

Ignoramus17831

What, basically are the differences, and how will it improve my life?

One reason not to use Mozilla and Firefox? Every so often, Firefox uses 100% of your processor's capacity for no real good reason. It grinds everything to a halt and leaves the computer unresponsive. I still use it.¿¿¿

Chrome and Safari use far less of your CPU's capacity (The Chrome part now makes this metal related)

Opera is around too, don't care much for the latest 10.50 version just yet, too buggy... but Version 10.00, 10.10 are solid. See:

There is a 10.20 version too, but it had special features to better exploit widget use. The other versions can all run widgets too.

Firefox came with what I'm running now, can't see why people get all excited about it. Felt real good to get Opera running again and I haven't tried fiddling with it anymore.

Don't know anything much about IE...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

But there are still some web sites and applications that don't work with Chrome. Notably, VMware infrastructure web access (which I use every day). For the most part, however, I use Chrome, for exactly the reason posted by "R" (Firefox using 100% CPU).

Reply to
rangerssuck

I've had IE8 and FF3.5 on the same PC and didn't see much practical difference. FF hung up less often when I had several tabs open but it was an older 1.6G PC with 768K RAM. IE was possibly a little faster. I don't care about media enough to use FF add-ons. I normally use IE only because I've learned how to save Youtube downloads and selectively clean out everything else.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And plugins can help you speed up down loads from e.g. ebay when you block java scripts, cookies, advertisement, flash player. You enable just the minimum.

My only gripe is that since google took it over, they now watch everything I do, and to use version 3.x, I now have to update to 2000/ millenium from my perfect 98se.

OK I'm too cheep to pay for a new group feed, so I use google, but when I log in, they translate my hotmail account to a current gmail account, and they also have connected the gmail account to my ISP email account, how the hell they do this, the privacy problem with them is only going to get worse, we'll see what the operating system they release will do. ignator

Reply to
ignator

Try lynx.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

firefox earlier than 3.6 has serious security flaws, as do earlier IEs - Chrome has a lot of known exploits the last time I looked but I don't know the current patch status.

Security is one of the key things you should worry about

Reply to
Bill Noble

Most everybody builds applications to work with IE so I use it for most things. Mozilla has direct plug-in to work with the TOR network for anonymous surfing so I use that when I don't wan the casual webmaster to know who I am.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A simple bookmarklet will do that.

There's KernelEx for Win98 and WinME

'm using 98SE too, but haven't tried KernalEx. Firefox 2 works for me.

According to what I've read, their operating system is Linux with a Chrome interface/frontend/whatever, and only works online.

Reply to
Beryl

s/everybody/clueless web developers/

Any web developer with good sense builds to work with standards-compliant browsers first, then tweaks (if necessary) to work with IE. Building to work with IE first almost guarantees failures in most other browsers.

Reply to
Doug Miller

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:58:15 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus17831 scrawled the following:

Except for the fact that it's invasive as hell. I dumped it the second day after I realized that.

IE has never been able to view a picture which was shown in the web page. Firefox allows you to view them individually, and addons allow you to zoom it. I also prefer Firefox' handling of bookmarks and a few other things I can't think of right now. FF is definitely my fave browser, and I've tried half a dozen over the years. (NN4 was tops for a whole long while.)

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I love Firefox too, but I love Chrome even better.

Ignoramus5886

And yet there are plenty of commercial applications and interfaces that only work with IE regardless of the reason. A client or user really doesn't care why. They just want it to work. What I find amazing are all the commercial applications that are java dependent instead of doing everything on the server side with PHP or Perl.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Should I decide to download FF, is there a simple uninstall for IE8 that will kill all threads of it in my computer, or will I have popups forever?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Download Firefox and simply close the IE windows and reboot. If popups keep popping up, even when you do not visit websites, this means that you are infected with malware.

Reply to
Ignoramus5886

And it's probably vundo/virtumonde which is a nasty SOB to kill . Spybot S&D and AdAware can help , but I'm not sure there's any way short of wiping your hard drive to totally get rid of it . You might also try a program called MalWare Bytes , there's a free version that you have to run manually and a paid version that's "always on" . Good Luck !

Reply to
Snag

You shouldn't need to uninstall IE, you may want it for things that Firefox doesn't handle well. I put icons for both on the desktop and click whichever one I want.

This shows what's running:

who admits to it, or more importantly doesn't.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:42:49 -0500, the infamous R scrawled the following:

I've been noticing that for the past several version changes. It really sucks, but I keep expecting it to disappear in future updates.

Chrome is quicker, like the old NN4, but I don't trust 'em. IIRC, it was going online by itself for some reason, even when it wasn't running for me. That's what freaked me out about it.