OT-Tablet computers rant and rave

Rant and rave on. A few years ago my wife bought me an iPad. At first I wasn't too impressed with it but after using it for awhile I came to love it.
Then I updated it. Big mistake. My wife updated hers too and same thing. It just gets slower and slower. Apple forums are no help getting the thing to be as near as fast as it once was. It is the OS that is slowing it up. And it just gets slower and slower. And it keeps crashing. The guy at the apple store told us the only hope is to spend 600 bucks on a new iPad. So then I buy this 50 dollar Fire tablet from Amazon and it works way better than my Ipad. Then I buy my wife the 8 inch one, just to play with, for 180 bucks. She likes it. So I am going to get us both the 10 inch models. One thing about the Fire that I REALLY like is the micro SD card slot and the way the tablet uses this extra memory. I downloaded some stuff to watch on the ferry and the tablet automatically saved it to the SD card. Such a good idea not to mess with the native memory in the tablet. I'm sure other tablets make just as much sense. The upshot of all this is that I say FUCK Apple and the way they do business. I know it makes them loads of money but their customer service sucks and I really hate the idea of being forced to buy a new tablet every two or three years for more and more money because Apple software updates ruin the tablet in hand. Sorry about the strong language, but it had to be said. Rant and rave off. Eric
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:26:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

+1

I, too, recently bought a 5th gen 7" Fire ($39.95 + $15 to lose the ads - a surprise $5 rebate = $50) and like it. The only downside is the battery life. After stupidly tossing my phone onto my bed, where it collided with the screen of my dearest 2nd gen Kindle keyboard and broke the screen. They're not replaceable/available, so I bought another used one for $23, delivered. The battery lasts all week, and I read for hours and hours each day.
Another rant I have is about Mozilla Firefox. I was so utterly fond of Netscape Navigator 4.5 that the current GIGABYTE hogging bitch they call Firefox _FORTY SIX!_ (v45 was released the day before yesterday) is simply agonizing to use any more. GIGAbloat, bugs, etc. Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
--
EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY.
--anon
Larry Jaques wrote:

Want a link to the older versions of FF ? I just installed 38.0.1 on a laptop ...
--
Snag

No, I want to go back to the days when a 4mb program could handle this shit without a hint of trouble, and do it swiftly, know what I mean? Those older programs could handle Flash, pics, PDFs, and movies. What the hell takes almost a bloody gigabyte now?
--
EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY.
--anon
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:46:52 -0700, Larry Jaques

There are a bunch of F.F look alike's that are much friendlier. I'm using FossaMail which seems much the same as one of the older F.F.'s. I've been using it for about a year and so far not a single "update" :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

    I'll second the recommendation.

--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.

Safe? I killed Chrome because it was doing downloads in the background all the time, killing my performance. BTW, I had auto-update and such turned OFF but it turned out to be some sort of weirdass computer sharing it was doing. I didn't like that shit at all!
Downloading it to try now, thanks.
--
Education is that which remains when one has
forgotten everything he learned in school.
"Larry Jaques" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote in message

'Twas a quick download, but the version of Adblocker didn't download. Something about permissions, which is odd. That's a biggie.
I'll try again next weekend, or maybe on Wednesday, during the thunderstorm. No work then. <g>
--
Education is that which remains when one has
forgotten everything he learned in school.
On 30/04/2016 3:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

My biggest beef with Apple is having to use iTunes to move anything into or out of, my phone. Have a bunch of engineering apps I use at work. When my contract is up, will be looking to see what apps are available on other platforms.
Jon
On Sun, 1 May 2016 00:38:57 +1000, Jon Anderson

As a friend of mine says "iTunes IS a virus". Eric
On 1/05/2016 1:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

That's why I carry my music on a cheapo $20 MP3 player... Figure I'm going to have to switch sooner or later. Next phone won't be an Apple, that's for sure. I want a phone with apps useful to me, with good battery life, and treated by my PC as an external memory device rather than something proprietary. Only got started on Apple as my wife gave me a 4C, and I upgraded to a 5S. That's the end of the Apple road for me.
Jon
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 08:57:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Kinda like Norton Antivirus and Windows Internet Exploder?
--
EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY.
--anon

There is an app for that: iExplorer. <https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/?gclid=CI7Bs-jhtswCFVhahgodPuMLRg
Joe Gwinn
On 1/05/2016 2:19 AM, Joe Gwinn wrote:

Bought that, and tried it first with my iPod. Despite being registered with iTunes, iexplorer wouldn't recognize it, haven't screwed around with it since.
Jon

I had no such problem. May be time to dig a little deeper.
Failing that, there are other non-Apple offerings.
Joe Gwinn

    I've an older model ipod Touch, which I sync with Media Monkey. About a week ago, I had problems with sync. As in it was taking longer to sync tracks than to play them, before executing HEIL (Halt and Execute Infinite Loop). Plus other annoyances. End result: remove MediaMonkey, _All_ Apple related SW, reinstall MM, Itunes, then DFU (Device Firmware Update - but "Dey Fuked Up" makes as much sense), update Itunes, update the pod's software (good thing I had a second computer - Apple is notorious for failing to communicate). Now it works     But no more updates of Media Monkey.