Wacom Tablet and Solidworks

I primarily use Solidworks for product design and have always used a mouse with a scroll wheel for input. However I have been looking at
buying a Wacom Tablet for use with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
Does anyone out there use the Wacom Tablet with Solidworks. If so..., are you just using the Wacom Mouse like an ordinary mouse?
I guess I just want to make sure I can still use Solidworks like I normally do and that the Wacom mouse/tablet drivers are compatible with Solidworks.
Thanks for your help.
~G
George,
I use a regular Microsoft mouse with my right hand for SolidWorks during the workday and switch off to a Wacom (Graphire) tablet PEN in my left hand after hours.
This has been the case through numerous versions of SolidWorks and Wacom drivers. NEVER a problem. (The tablet-based mouse is also usable, but I don't normally run it...)
It's just a matter of configuring the pen point and switches to respond to the inputs you desire.
Per O. Hoel
Which model are and which size are you using? I borrowed an old Intruos2 9x12 for a test and it seems to have too large of an area. I have to move my hand way too much so I think i will look into the little 4x5 tablet. Also after years of using the MS scroll mouse I find the Wacom mouse hard to use. I thought it would help with digitally sketching in Illustrator where as right now I sketch with pencils and markers and then scan them into illustrator.
George,
4x5 is the size I use and it makes for relatively short movements of the pen to quickly get from one corner of the display to the other.
With a larger tablet is it possible to calibrate the working area to be smaller than the maximum available?
Per O. Hoel
Following Per's example, I have a 4x5 Wacom tablet at home and at work to allow some relief from repetitive motion stresses.
I have, in rare cases, managed to lock up the entire PC using the pen and have had to reboot. But, as Per will remember, I do have the ability to do things that the computer is not expecting. I find the tablet to be a great way to quickly get things done in SolidWorks and my other programs as well.
Don POH wrote:

Following Per's example, I have a 4x5 Wacom tablet at home and at work to allow some relief from repetitive motion stresses.
I have, in rare cases, managed to lock up the entire PC using the pen and have had to reboot. But, as Per will remember, I do have the ability to do things that the computer is not expecting. I find the tablet to be a great way to quickly get things done in SolidWorks and my other programs as well.
Don POH wrote:

I take it you mean a Wacom pen tablet not a tablet PC.
I use an old Wacom Artpad II pen tablet for sketch work in Alias SketchBook Pro and to touch up renderings in PaintShop Pro.
I some times import the sketches form SketchBook Pro into Solidworks to start a model.
I've tried using the Artpad II in SolidWorks. Its works, but the big drawback I see is that you have the select the view icons from the view menu (or pop-up menu) to rotate, zoom, or pan the part.
I guess I've gotten too accustomed to the mouse wheel to change to the pen.
I'd love to get my hands on a Wacom's Cintiq 21UX for sketch work and to see how it would work with Solidworks.
Then maybe I'd convert fully.
Scot
Scot,
Yes - I mean a pen tablet.
I don't use the mouse wheel in the manner you are accustomed to. Instead, I've always used function keys (F1, etc.) to toggle between rotate, zoom, or panning of the part.
Per O. Hoel
Sounds like you might not have a problem switching to a pen tablet.
I prefer not having to press the icons, or in your case the function keys, to enter the view function and then manipulate the part and then select Escape to get out of the function.
The mouse wheel I always ready. No extra clicks.
As a side note, I also use a 3dConnection Space Navigator keyboard for when my right hand get tired.
Scot
This is pretty cool. I downloaded the latest driver and the calibration and sensitivity seemed to have fixed themselves. Also, both the MS Mouse and the Pen Tablet can be on simultaneously so I can work as accustomed to in SW and then use the Pen when in Illustrator. i still think I would prefer a smaller tablet area though. I have to find the original CD that came with this tablet ... it may have had some calibration tools.
Thanks for all the input (no pun intended)....
~G
The drivers should be available on-line as well.
The drivers should be available on-line as well.
If you set the upward click of the switch on the pen's barrel to "middle click", it works more like a scroll wheel. Instant rotate. A quick click of the ctrl or shift key allows you to pan or zoom with the pen. The nice thing is the pen tip does not even touch the pad when rotating, panning or zooming.
George wrote:

I use a cheap AIPTEK tablet in my right hand and my trackball in my left hand. When I use the tablet, I usually point with the stylus and select with the trackball buttons, or scroll, zoom and rotate with the trackball wheel. The tablet and the trackball complement each other very well, otherwise I wouldn't bother with the tablet.
--
J Kimmel
snipped-for-privacy@whereIwork.com