OT - "burned" engine head

There were 2 heads at the dump, each for 2 cylinders - from a a v4 engine I'd guess. Each of the heads had 1 cylinder badly "burned", as
shown. Anybody know what happened?
Just curious, Bob
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/EngineHead.jpg
Oh, yeah ... broken valve. It's right there, embedded in the head. The surface just looked so molten that I thought "heat". And I did take them for casting stock. I didn't appreciate the special-ness of the alloy, but I knew that I could use them. I didn't see the rest of the engine & it's had to believe that it could be repaired. It could still turn up.
Thanks, Bob