OT car repair

Buick Lesabre. Corrosion in the hydraulic line from the master cylinder to the ABS modulator, causing a leak near the ABS modulator. The other
lines (3) going to the modulator also show corrosion in about the same place. Replacement lines are not available from GM. Lines to the master cylinder have a flex section crimped on, and so is not easily replaced with tubing. I am uncomfortable with additional couplings in the line; however I see that it is common practice to make up brake lines by piecing together preflared sections from the parts store. Is it acceptable practice to "patch in" a short section at the end of a run using a flare coupling?
Thanks
Kevin Gallimore
On 10/18/2010 4:40 PM, axolotl wrote:

Absolutely. And the old way of absorbing vibration is to wind coils of tubing in the middle, so it looks like a spring.
Be sure and get the armor coated lines. Probably all you can get in your area, if they salt the roads. Very easy to bend by hand, more so than the plain steel.
--
I can see November from my front porch

How old is the car? I was under the impression that spare parts had to to be stocked for 10 years minimum. Now if I could remember the law, that would be a real plus but my mind is a bit blank on that bit of info.
On 10/18/2010 6:45 PM, Wes wrote:

The car is a '97, so older than 10 years. However, in my search, I found no pre bent OEM lines for any year other than the short lines going to the hoses.
Kevin Gallimore
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:45:59 -0400, Wes

Used to be the case, but sadly it does not appear to be the case any more. At least if it is, it is not enforced.
Much better to have a line made up with proper double flares and use a stock flex hose for the flex part - something from a totally different brake application like a front flex hose or something.. IF there is enough solid line left from the flex portion to allow a new flared end to be installed, you could go that rout - but NEVER use a compression fitting or single flare on a brake line.

It's 7 years, Wes. But bankruptcy trumps the law.
Paul

One more reason not to buy GM.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:52:44 -0400, Wes

As if anyone needed any more excuses NOT to buy 'em. The last 30 years of Consumer Reports show it in spades.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

My mom has had two GM's that rusted away in no time flat including the braking system. Uncle owned a Vega, enough said.
I will give them points for my 2001 Saturn Sl. 213000 miles and still running but starting to show its age. If only they had put grease fittings in the steering parts but saving $1.24 per car is part of GM thinking. I'd have gladly paid for a zerk fitting option.
Saturn is gone now so my next car is going to be a Ford or an import. I hope Ford has something I like by then because I've never bought offshore before but I will before buying GM or Chrysler.
And while we are at, cash for clunkers jamned a big one up the arse of those that don't make a lot. In a good economy, there are a lot of used cars depressing prices on used cars. Obama got rid of those cars so used car prices are high in a market where new car sales are down. What a blithering idiot but he paid off his union backers which is all that matters.
Sorry for the ot rant but keeping cars going is metal working and I don't like having to do this kind of metalworking. I'd rather play in my shop turning and milling.
Wes
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:53:44 -0400, Wes

It's surprising what GOOD vehicles are getting scrapped for $300 in the "cash for clunkers" fiasco up here.. If it's older than 1995 and curently licenced and insured, $300
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wow, 300 CDN, what are are the scrap yards paying? Seems like a poor incentive.
Wes
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:04:35 -0400, Wes

The scrapyards pay you the $300.
On 10/18/2010 2:45 PM, Wes wrote:

Oh that 'rule' is either long gone, or just being ignored. I have a mechanic buddy that tells tales of people with cars only a couple years old that he cannot get new parts for. The cars aren't even paid for yet, and he's calling dismantlers trying to find replacement parts.
Granted, this is not all that common, but sure sucks if you have one of these vehicles. Just another reason to avoid cars loaded up with tons of whiz-bang features. Yeah, it's mostly the accessory stuff that seems to fail and not have replacements available.
Jon
Jon Anderson wrote:

Imports?

enough left over to pay them.

Lexus, IIRC...
Jon
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:55:27 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

In my experience, FORDS
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I thought we were talking about US built vehicles? The last couple Fords I saw were built in Canada.
enough left over to pay them.
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:53:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Mine was built in Kansas City. Actually all 3 of my last Fords were built in Kansas City. Crown Vics were built in Canada.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

These were just old junkers by the time I drove them.
enough left over to pay them.
axolotl wrote:

Stock brake lines are about the cheapest thing in the auto parts store. Some places will bend the line and flare it for you if you can give them the old line to copy. The best tool for getting out the old fittings if you cannot get them loose with a tubing wrench is to use a little 6 inch rigid pipe wrench, it works a lot better than a pair of vice grips. The other thing you can do is to cut the tubing right at the fitting and use a six point socket on the fitting. I would check all the brake lines on the vehicle for rust, I just blew a line on my truck and have to replace a couple of lines that are rusted. Hopefully it will stop raining and warm up a little.
John