OT car repair

It's surprising what GOOD vehicles are getting scrapped for $300 in the "cash for clunkers" fiasco up here.. If it's older than 1995 and curently licenced and insured, $300

Reply to
clare

be stocked for

plus but my mind

In my experience, FORDS

Reply to
clare

The 292 was a great egine - lots of torque. Just knew the 283 was "yesterday's news" by 1968

Reply to
clare

Only "yesterday's news" because GM kept increasing the bore until they would only last as long as the rest of the car.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Wow, 300 CDN, what are are the scrap yards paying? Seems like a poor incentive.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

to be stocked for

plus but my mind

I thought we were talking about US built vehicles? The last couple Fords I saw were built in Canada.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, It ran great in a 6000+ Lb stepvan with 9,000 Lb of cargo. It passed almost everything on I-75 going uphill with the gas pedal about half way to the floor at 65 MPH.

That van was a '68 model. I bought it in 74, right after I left the Army.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:00:07 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Reminds me of a story (Any "war story" worth repeating, have Valuable Life Lessons there in.) of the guys blasting stumps. The one had a stump with a hole in it, which they proceeded to place the dynamite in. Boom! Nothing. Added more dynamite this time' Bigger boom! Only this time, a woodchuck comes out the hole coughing and chittering "you dang kids get out of my yard and quit playing with the explosives so close to the house!" The other one was the last stump of the day, they've "surplus to needs" dynamite (meaning "more than enough to blow the stump, but not enough to take home"), and "never can use 'too much'". Touched it off and "boom!" up the stump goes, and it arches over, and starts the descent ... and lands, right square in the back of the one guy's pickup. "Ka-bong!

tschus pyotr

I'm trying to recall who told me of trying to blast a stump in really wet ground. Spattered dirt & mud all to heck and back - but didn't disturb the roots at all.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:12:14 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'm told the same can be done with composition 4. Just don't try and stomp out the fire.

Hey, cool. Wonder if I can get some for the next Adventure in Urban Forestry.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:02:21 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool ...

Oh, wait, you mean the electrical circuit tracers. Not the sort for bullets and ... "never mind."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The scrapyards pay you the $300.

Reply to
clare

Actually the last of the "real" sbc 250s outlasted the average 283 by a factor of better than 2. Virtually never got a valve job, ring job, or bearing replacement - all of which were common in 1963 on the 283 before 80,000 miles.

Reply to
clare

to be stocked for

plus but my mind

Mine was built in Kansas City. Actually all 3 of my last Fords were built in Kansas City. Crown Vics were built in Canada.

Reply to
clare

I used to run a 1968 GMC 35 pickup with 292 4 gear hauling a tri-axle trailer. Were were licenced for 20 tons IIRC. A couple of Cockshutt (White) 1855 tractors on the trailer would make it snort, but never complain.

Reply to
clare

I never saw a 250 small block Chevy, I thought they started with 265, which they didn't make long before going to the 283.

Fond memories of my '57 Chevy 4 door wagon with 283 opened up to 292.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

to to be stocked for

real plus but my mind

These were just old junkers by the time I drove them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I used to tell people that I could pull a house off it's foundation with that truck. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mom's '64-1/2 Mustang had a 265 in it. My first car, a '57 Chebby hardtop, had a 283 w/ power-packed heads. (larger valves)

Fond memories of my '60 F-100 with the 312. I'd climb under the hood and stand on either side of the engine to change plugs, points, condensor, cap, and rotor. It had room to spare.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Fat Finger disorder - hit the 2 instead of the 3 - 350 cubes it is.

Reply to
clare

Yes, I'd like to target copper rounds, not leaded ones.

Reply to
Denis G.