OT Computer question OT

(Marked OT because it is not metal or political related)

I updated Google Earth. My old update had a starting point in Las Vegas, as I use Google Earth a lot for measuring real estate. I could type the cross streets into it, and it would "fly" to that location. With this new update, it doesn't. I've been through the tabs, and I cannot get it to do this again. Anyone help?

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Try setting the default location on the Google home page?

Reply to
Steve W.

Went through the tabs, and changed some settings, and now it works. Go figger. For the real estate work I do, the instant "go to" is a big time saver. Sometimes I hate the updates, as I am used to the old version, and know where everything is, and how it all works. Which I then have to relearn with the new version.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Like I tell folks about other software. Unless you have to update the software DON'T.

Reply to
Steve W.

Amen. In my book, HP gets the laurels for being the worst at screwing things up with updates. Synamtec used to be my first choice, but lately they have gotten a LOT better.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------

Steve W. wrote:

Reply to
spaco

And if you DO have to:

I make a bootable CD to run the program and save the backups to a second internal or USB hard drive. For several reasons restored backups may not work on other computers but those two are excellent for recovering from almost any impropriety on the original machine.

If you use these you may want your personal files on the second drive, to keep C: and its backups small. If you turn off Simpleminded File Sharing in Folder Options>View you can set permissions to access them from any login. Then you can back up your files to another drive easily. Copy C:\* doesn't work because the OS keeps its working files open.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's misleading. You can back up C: by running the program as an Administrator within Windows. The bootable CD is for restoring a backup of C: to a new or corrupted hard drive.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I had CD and DVD as backups - e.g. the CD first and then it asks for the DVD.

Rocked on for several years - new stuff on CD's.

Lost a disk controller chip slowly - thought it was a flaky disk. Bought a new disk and it was flaky.

Tried to use the restore method - CD then DVD. Only, the xxx software wanted only CD's after the first one.

Installed a new motherboard - put in disks and they were working. New os on the system.

Mart> >> ...>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

One gotcha is that the disk controller driver loads and runs before Plug&Play so the backup and mobo controllers need to be compatible, or you can load the standard driver before making the backup.

I originally backed up to multiple DVDs. If one won't read correctly the backup is worthless. That's why I switched to USB drives.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins