OT: cornmeal recipes

We use corn starch as a dry lubricant for steel wire. I get 100# bags at the local food wholesaler. I mistakenly bought 100# of corn meal...I swear it wasn't marked and was where the corn starch should be, they get it for me special. Anyways, I would like to divvy the bag up and give it to my employees and print out a few good recipes. Would you contribute yours?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I've been using the corn bread and Indian pudding recipes from Durgin-Park for over 30 years...

Double the molasses in the pudding recipe if you're using regular (like Grandma's brand) molasses.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

All I have ever made with corn meal was corn bread

1 1/4 C flour 3/4 C corn meal 1/4 C sugar 1/2 tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder

1 egg beaten

1 C milk 1/4C veg oil

Mix dry ingredients and to them add the blended wet ingredients stir till mixed but still a little lumpy

Pour into a 9 inch greased pan and bake @400F 20-25 minutes until light brown and a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.

For muffins bake 15 to 20 minutes.

I like adding things like a small can of pineapple chunks or a chunk of kielbasa. (Don't laugh it is really good.)

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news01.syix.com:

Who's laughing? (I know that it's good.)

Also try adding a small, drained, can of Mexi-Corn to the batter as an alternative.

Reply to
RAM³

"Tom Gardner" wrote in news:FciHh.3156$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

  1. Use cornmeal as an alternative to flour when frying fish.

  1. Try going to for quite a few recipes. Here's a sample:

The Lady and Sons Hush Puppies recipe Posted by GayleL at recipegoldmine.com 10:14:18pm 2/26/03

Source: foodtv.com - recipe courtesy Paula Deen

6 cups peanut oil 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal 1/2 cup self-rising flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 small onion, chopped 1 cup buttermilk 1 egg, lightly beaten

Using a deep pot, preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees F.

Using a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the onion.

In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil. Dip the spoon in a glass of water after each hush puppy is dropped in the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning the hush puppies during the cooking process.

Yield: 35 hush puppies

  1. will provide links to far more recipes than you'd ever want to print.

Reply to
RAM³

Chopped jalapeno's .

Reply to
Snag

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:17:47 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Larry's Sugarless Cornbread

---------------------------

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (not whole-wheat) 1/2 cup yellow corn meal 1 Tbsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt 1-1/4 cups milk 2 large eggs (or XL, which I always have around) 1/3 cup vegetable oil (not olive, it's too strong tasting) 3 Tbsp melted butter

Briskly combine all ingredients while oven heats to 350F. Pour into greased 8" square baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or 'til toothpick comes out clean.

Mop some butter on top while it's still hot.

This is an excellent cornbread and is even better fresh out of the oven. It's the Albers recipe sans sugar. I leave out the sugar because I like cornbread, not corn tasting dessert cake. Nobody from the South has ever dissed my cornbread. ;)

(Damn, now I'm going to have to make some of this stuff tonight. It sounds too good to avoid.)

-- Don't take life so seriously. You'll never get out of it alive. --Elbert Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you need some cornmeal, seems I have a bit...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 02:25:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Yeah, I'm about out. Overnight about 25 lbs to me, please. Thanks!

I also use it with butter in frying up nice catfish strips. et the cat, shake in corn meal with garlic, salt, and pepper, and fry in gobs of butter.

Damn the cholesterol, Full Speed Ahead!

-- Don't take life so seriously. You'll never get out of it alive. --Elbert Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

$5 worth of cornmeal, $125 freight...I'll just paypal you $5...go to the store!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Taste just one bad catfish and you'll NEVER touch one again...been there, done that.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Someone here had a recipe for cornmeal cookies that SWMBO makes for me if I've been a good boy. Sorry, but I forget who posted this originally.

Cornmeal Cookies

Beat together until creamy 1/2 cup butter 2/3 cup sugar mix in 1 egg 1 tsp lemon extract

In a separate bowl combine 1/2 cup cornmeal 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 1 cup flour

Add flour mixture to butter mixture Mix well Stir in 1/2 cup raisons (optional) Drop batter by tsp onto a lightly buttered cookie sheet. Bake @ 375 F. 10 - 12 min. until slightly brown on the bottom. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:00:38 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Drat, you caught onto my scheme too quickly. ;)

-- Don't take life so seriously. You'll never get out of it alive. --Elbert Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:02:27 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Bad how? Too old or actually tainted? Sounds horrible. I got a bad dry-roasted peanut the other day and that was icky enough.

-- Don't take life so seriously. You'll never get out of it alive. --Elbert Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Catfish are bottom feeders. They eat the shit, poop, fecal material and other debris that settles on the bottom. Like most critters, they can take on the taste of what they eat.

Bout the only fish I will eat..is tuna in a tuna fish sandwich.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

I think all commercial catfish is raised in farm pond operations. I had my first taste of catfish the other day. It was pretty good. Not brook trout by any means but it still was pretty good.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Well, mostly they eat dead stuff, not "waste".

The trick to catfish is to remove the "mud strip" It's the flesh that is a little darker in color than the normal white color. Take that part, through it out, and you'll like catfish caught from most places.

Back about 30 or 40 years ago, catfish caught from the Missouri River tasted like oil. I assume that was because of large amounts of industrial waste dumped into the river. I don't know if they're still like that or not. I wouldn't eat those. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

it is my favorite fish. Catfish is like pigs. They eat anything.

Ignoramus15713

Iggy sez: (At least I think it was Iggy, but couldn't be sure on the reader, though)

" it is my favorite fish. Catfish is like pigs. They eat anything. "

Whoa ! You like catfish because it is like pigs ? And all the while I thought you were Muslim.

Bob Sw>> Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Robert Swinney