OT: Document shredder rec needed

I'm soliciting opinions on paper shredders--you know, the ones with _metal_ cutters.

I need something that makes the confetti sized pieces. It needs to work flawlessly and I only want to buy it once. I care only about functionality and durability--it doesn't have to be quiet, pretty, or have any gimmicky features. Looking to spend ~ $200.

I know nothing about the shredders on the market.

Can folks chime in with models to consider or avoid?

Thanks.

Jeff Dantzler Seattle, WA

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

We currently own a Fellows CC4-2 and IIRC it only cost about $70.00. We have had it for about three years now and it has been working perfectly. The cutter are steel and have yet to dull out. The only "real" maintenance that I do for it is to run a sheet of paper coated with vegetable oil through it occasionally.

Hope this helps

Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher1

I bought a Fellowes PS60CC (reconditioned) from the Fellowes website about 3 years ago for a very low price and it has performed very well in a home-use situation.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Do not use vegetable oil as a lubricant in a shredder (or any other piece of machinery, for that matter): it will gum up and harden over time, either degrading performance or actually causing your motor to burn out.

They make a special cutting lubricant for shredders (available at most office supply stores). If you can't find that, then any light mineral oil is the next best substitute.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

The directions explicitly say " use a vegetable based lubricant"

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Of course, and the directions are written by the company that makes and sells the shredder..... go figger.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

The Fellows DM65C (Costco) has plastic gears. That's how I got it for free. Repaired with help from this group. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Jeff,

You need tgo look for cross-cut shredders. Most shredders just cut the paper into longthin pieces, the cross-cut style will give you the confetti pieces you are looking for.

Howard R Garner

Reply to
Howard

My wife does taxes & accounting out of our home & needed a good shredder. She got a cross cut shredder at Walmart on sale for ~$20 that even comes with its own wastebasket. It has a nominal capacity of 5 sheets at a time, but it complains a bit at anything over 3 sheets. If you don't mind feeding it small amounts at a time, it works very well, and has shredded a LOT of paper & shows no signs of dying. We have a large heavy duty shredder at work that probably cost a couple hundred. The one we have at home works better.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White