OT: EBAY pooches it again

Y'now, a lot of times the items in auctions are poorly photographed, and I often need to download the image of them to process in order to see more detail. Ebay's new action format with the image up in the left corner with add'l thumb images below is coded to prevent the browser from saving image. There are Some formats that still allow it, but they are rare. Thoughts? JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

don't use ebay.

it's too complex to sell stuff there and too complex to buy.

I shut my account down maybe a year ago and don't miss it.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I can't save them from the auction directly, but if I click on the "enlarge image" I can save it from the window that pops up.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

I stopped using ebay when almost all payments required Paypal. I occasionally look at stuff to get price ideas, but wouldn't buy there. It's no longer a good place for small sales.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Opera allows zooming on a webpage. At the bottom right corner is a control box which lets you choose up to 1000% zoom. If you make the page full screen then magnify and use the scroll bars to position the image in the center of the screen you can PrintScreen to the clipboard then paste into your choice of image editors. I've not found a way to do this in FF nor IE. Art

Reply to
Artemus

eBay seems to be hell bent on alienating various groups of buyers and sellers, and that is the only thing that they seem to be good at. First they alienate small sellers, then they alienate buyers without paypal, etc. I am trying rather hard to sell as little as possible on ebay.

Ignoramus31381

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:33:49 -0700, the infamous JR North scrawled the following:

It was a dumb idea on their part. What do they say about it? You _have_ asked them about it, right?

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, they do have problems. However, living in the Oregon desert is a little different from Seattle or Chicago. There is NOWHERE around here to buy stuff. And I don't know what I will need, next. So, I still buy on Ebay. Haven't sold anything there in years.

Just hope their stock keeps going up. I bought the day they bought Skype and it's been down ever since!

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

I don't remember any more what Netscape can do, but I found a way with Firefox.

Use eBay's "Enlarge" link to open a larger view in a new window. Then, right-click in that and choose View Page Info from the menu, click the Media tab, and the direct address of the image is displayed! Copy that address, close the Page Info box, and paste the address to the "Enlarge" window, or a new window, a new tab, whatever you like.

Now I can also use my Zoom Images bookmarklet... to get a closer look at the photo. eBay's idea of "Enlarge" isn't near big enough.

Reply to
Beryl

Easy. I use FireFox. Enlarge the picture, click in the popup window, CTRL-S to save that window (as ZZZ.htm say), open the folder called ZZZ_Files, find the picture and save/copy/whatever. I have over 100 pictures saved that way.

Now getting the pictures from google books 100 year collections of Pop Sci and Pop Mechs is harder but I can do that too.

Reply to
N Morrison

often need to download

format with the image

browser from saving

I tried several auctions and was able to right click and "save picture as". I had no problem saving them using OE7. What auction did you have problems with?.....Paul

Reply to
catguy

often need to download

format with the

the browser from

had no problem

Opps, that's IE7......Paul

Reply to
catguy

"Cydrome Leader" pecked out

I guess if they don't sell it at Wal-Mart, he doesn't need it.

Reply to
Stupendous Man