OT: edit computer CMOS or setup

I know there's a key combination to enter just as your computer is booting to get to the CMOS or setup entries on the computer. But I can't remember what it is.

I need to change the disk boot order.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

F2 on my computer, YMMV. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It entirely depends on the computer. What are you using? Some need special setup programs, like older Compaq and IBM models.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

For most of the types of BIOS/post messages I've seen for PC types is to press DEL during startup.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Karl,

Some Dell's and Compaq use the F10 key, or as others have said "DEL" or "F2" at bootup.

Hope this helps Jim geib Mansfield, Oh

Reply to
Jim Geib

Just hold down the del key on most machines.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Typically it will be F2 or DEL to enter setup, but there are other lesser used possibilities. If you don't know, and don't see anything during POST to indicate which, hit F2 & DEL alternately after powering on.

Reply to
Jim Levie

"Del", F2, F10, "Esc" depending on the mfg. it could be about anything. If you have Kybd error checking turned on, just hold down any key right from boot, and you should get an error message telling you what key to use. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

Some computers use the Del key.

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Thanks everybody.

Its the "del" key on this puter.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Most PCs use DEL, but there are others. For example, from my experience: IBM Laptop: F1 for BIOS, F12 to select boot device HP Desktop: F8 Compaq Desktop: F10 industrial rack-mount PCs: F2 or F7

I'm sure there are others.

If some type of error occurs during the POST, most PCs will print a message telling you what key to press. If you're lucky, you can unplug your keyboard before powering on, and see my favorite error message: "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue."

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock