OT: Education and wages

Wild card here is the surge in undocumented immigrant labor.

Much of the "free market" only works when there is no source or sink of inputs. Unlimited supplies of anything, be it capital [inflation] or labor [falling wages] violate the basic assumptions.

If we like the free market, then the conditions for the free market must be maintained.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Handy, but in many cases I want CV$ and or probit/logit transforms.

==================== Thanks for the kind words.

While there is a large amount of data available, much of it must be processed to be useful, for example changing CY to CV CPI-U dollars.

In the discussions here the affects of inflation appear to be largely neglected. This is understandable as most of us are used to absolute units that do not change such as the inch.

To give everyone a feel for how much inflation is distorting our view of the world, consider how things would change if the inch shrank at the same rate as the dollar. In September 1960 (CPIU=26.9) the average man was 5 feet 10 inches tall and the speed limits were generally 65 MPH, in 2006 (CPIU= 202.9) the same average man would be 44 feet tall and the typical speed limit would now be 490 MPH, all due to the shrinking inch.

I urge everyone to carefully examine their assumptions, especially about politics and economics and to check the data. ==>If no data exists you are simply following myth and legend.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

=============== If it is, then we get the whole package.

This is not a Chinese menu where you got to choose one from column A and two from column B, but a package deal.

Talk to anyone who has spent time in areas of the world where these conditions prevail, and ask about crime/security problems. There are more bars on the windows than at San Quinton.

Universally, the rich and middle class are operationally under house arrest, and there is significant continual socio-political instability. Think Chavez, Peron, and the Argentinean dollarization debacle.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I took your test and got mixed results:

  1. I believe in a reasonable minimum wage adjusted for inflation
  2. I think that the idea of global warming has been hyped for political purposes.
  3. A smart guy once said ten thousand times, "where's the WMD?"
  4. I don't agree with abstinence-only but agree that abstinance should be part of the solution.

GW

Reply to
Gus

Would you translate that into English please.

And you have the research to back up that statement of course.

It's idiots like you who make this newsgroup so entertaining.

Reply to
Abrasha

Well, that's obvious ... NOT!

"World class economic courses"? what that?

Abrasha

Abrasha

Oh sure you do. You have not presented any fact nor logic, as far as I can tell.

Oh yes, you presented some half assed theory concocted around raising the minimum wage to $1,000 an hour. Or was that fact?

Reply to
Abrasha

That's for sure. Hell, everone knows that no respectable look out will even consider less than $500 per day.

Reply to
J. Carroll

I think you've just asked the big political question of the age, Tony. It's curious how ideologues tend to have fairly uniform ideas. For example, if you favor small government, you probably also oppose abortion (though libertarians may be an exception). And you probably think that freedom *of* religion doesn't mean freedom *from* religion. And chances are you also oppose gay marriage, and that you favor making English the official language of the US.

OTOH, if you think we've gone too far in cutting welfare, you probably also think we should tax the rich more. And you oppose unilateralism in international relations. And so on.

There are no logical connections between these things that make any sense. Maybe it's all a matter of what kind of water you drink.

Deliver us from political philosophers. It's really nice up here on the crown of the road, watching the ideologues run themselves into the ditches, throwing all of those old tire carcases and rank weeds into the air as they bog themselves down in the muck. Maybe they like to hang out with the frogs.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

'Good one. That goes into the Unka' George archive. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Apostate. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Well, it's worked so far.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Bingo. Maybe that's why I don't tend to agree with the majority in this beautiful Blue state. I have my own well. You don't suppose that liberals are putting something into city water causing brain damage?

Reply to
Gus

If you're looking to uncover the anomaly, I'd check that well first. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Very good! I like it..