OT-End of an Era

About ten years ago, I swapped my electric typewriter for a manual. I figured if the power was on, I used the computer. If the power was off, I couldn't use an electric. And for filling out time cars (in triplicate, for temp agencies) typewriters work wonderfully.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

flux capacitors

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I've been trying to build one of these for *years*. What's your secret? :^)

Jim

jim rozen

You have to get the right kind of flux capacitor, of course!

Here, you can get most of the stuff from Radio Shack and Sears:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I don't go to many different dentists, but I've never seen a digital x-ray mechanism. What, exactly, is it that you put in your mouth?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Ok - here goes - the date of record is 2002. Technology Review Feb 2004 (MIT's) "Americans bought 434,000 word processors and electronic typewriters, according to the Consumer Electronics Association." (what consumer only?) "Even manual machines hold their niche. Olympia and Olivetti still make classic machines." "Consider the advantages: no viruses to catch, no hard drives or software to get corrupted, no batteries to run down." :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Snicker - I have a box of 35 year old carbon paper that still works and is useful to copy (trace) and just think - waxed carbon - on thin paper, What a fire starter! Single sheet at at time...

Martin ;-)

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Used on "back to the future" cars... :-)

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yes.

Abrasha

Abrasha

An electronic sensor, that reacts to the X-ray tube, that is the same kind of X-ray tube used for conventional X-ray imaging in a dentist office. The sensor has about the same size as the film that is inside a piece of plastic, which you typically clamp between your teeth. It looks like this:

and this:
and this:
There is nothing very little that is new about Digital Dental X-Ray technology. It has been around for almost 10 years now.
Abrasha

Abrasha

This refers to the technology of transferring patterns from a laser printer's output (with a special toner) to other things by sandwiching the paper and the whatever together, and using a clothes iron to heat the combination, causing the transfer to take place.

It has nothing to do with transferring iron itself. :-)

Should I ask why you read the newsgroup, then? :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

But if you want a Mr. Fusion, you have to go find yourself a good used Krups Type 223A coffee grinder.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Chuckle. A good friend posts here. 'Nuff said. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Maybe a better description would be a crossposting rabble rouser. ;o) Sue

Reply to
Sue

First you need a DeLorean....

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will, through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs, Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota). The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability. Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones, of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines." Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Gunner

classic machines."

get corrupted,

And most important when the power goes out, you can keep on typing, even in the dark. HTH

Reply to
John

Eastburn

classic machines."

get corrupted,

So, not 400,000 typewriters sold, but 400,000 dedicated word processors and electronic typewriters, which are a different thing. No figures given for actual typewriter sales.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

There may be a reason for that....

Jim

jim rozen

Eastburn

classic machines."

get corrupted,

Ok Gary - but you missed the 34,000 typewriters :-) Word processors is a term for a typewriter with a text line or more and a print method. Ribbon or wheel. My wife had one - though it might be better than it really was. It wasn't. She gave it away.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn