OT: favortie email program

I mover to Win 7 a couple weeks ago. it doesn't include outlook express, so I've been using agent for NG and email.

I don't really like agent for email, plus I hosed something and can't figure out how to get it back. Anyway, what's your favorite email program. I'd like one that does NGs also. But, i may stick with agent for NGs cause I haven't seen or heard of a few fellas like cliff (nice kill filtering in agent)

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Two of the best Free email programs I ever found were Eudora and Pegasus.

(semi free)

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If Karl liked lookout, he probably won't like Pegasus that much since it isn't real good with HTML. I'm not slamming pmail, just pointing out it its limitations. I've been using it since about 1990 or so.

Wes

Wes

been using

Ive not run it for a few years, but I was understanding that they implimented full html a couple years ago.

no?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I use agent just for usenet. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email. Works for me.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

windows 7 does include 'windows live" mail, which is its replacement for OE - I'm using it, after a bit of annoyance over things that were just enough different to make it hard to use, I've settled in - it's not an improvement, but it's not much worse either - it reads newsgroups, it lets you write rules and it is much better at blocking annoying posters on the NG. I have tried agent several times and I just don't like it.

Reply to
Bill Noble

I have been extremely happy with gmail. With gmail, I am not stuck with just one or a couple of computers. I am typing this from the Bridgeport mill and have gmail right on it. It is powerful and convenient.

I do not use email to read usenet.

Ignoramus31991

with gMail, you trust your privacy and security and archive to google. There has been quite a bit of discussion of this among the professionals, including discussion of harvesting of info from the stored email database. If you use gMail, you may wish to read some of that - start with discussions in the professional magazines, particularly the security commentators.

Reply to
Bill Noble

ditto

and try Firefox as well!

Reply to
CaveLamb

I read a lot of security related stuff.

I trust google 100%.

Ignoramus31991

Ditto the move, ditto the disfavor of Agent for email. I chose not to go with Windows Live Mail for Big Brother reasons.

I'm not enamored of Outlook for a couple reasons. I'm still awaiting a refund from Paypal for the ingenuine copy of MS Office Pro I bought from eBay (shrinkwrapped, too), and it doesn't handle mail as fluidly as Outlook Express did. Why on Earth would MS discontinue the _only_ program they _ever_ distributed which was absolutely flawless?

So far, I've downloaded Pegasus and Sea Monkey, and can't get either to pick up my mail. They're not asking the right questions re: server setup and I haven't spent enough time to get either one to give me the answer as to why yet. Agent and Outlook were quick and easy setups.

I used to use and adore Eudora, but my purchased copy of v3 died with the newer versions of Windows. I won't use a sponsored (ad-infested) copy.

's the list I'm working from.

Let me know what you end up with, eh?

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've been using Claws-mail for several months with Ubuntu. It is also available for Windows. For a quick synopsis See:

It is the closest program I've found so far to Agent available in nix. I ran Agent via Wine for awhile on Ubuntu, but Wine makes for other weird problems. Mostly cosmetic but they are still annoying...

Claws has decent filtering right out of the box and a Perl plugin available for custom stuff. I would say the learning curve is steep though, much more so than Agent which has excellent help files.

Plenty of posters here using Agent. I'm sure whatever problem you are having could be sorted out with some discussion with your issues.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I've been using

I still don't think the html handling is all that hot. I have one account that I use with Seamonkey's mail program. That works better.

I stick with Pegasus because of its rules system which sorts my mail, forwards certain incomming mail to my work account so I get anything critical in a timely manner away from the house.

The other thing is html is an attack vector so sticking to showing me plain text and have me decide to do extra work to view it is part of my security plan. Pegasus does blacklisting of included links which is a nice touch so click happy people don't go to a malicious site. Of course I use my brain and opendns set to keep me away from sketchy stuff so even if I was carefree, I'd not get to a lot of crap on the net via an email link.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

the new windows live mail handles pop-3 the same way outlook express did - so it's as "non-big-brotherish" as its predecessor. You don't have to use any of the microsoft provided mail services if you don't want to - I happen to use MSN as one of my email providers, because I've used it forever and for $6 per month, who can complain - but it also connects to other email services just fine. all that stuff about sharing pictures and stuff is not of interest to me. you may want to reconsider the live mail just in case it meets your needs

Reply to
Bill Noble

Do you know how to stop windows live from popping up? Uncles box keeps coming up with it at boot and I don't know how to stop it nor do I care to waste time on it atm since I'm not running win7. I ordered a win7 box with the xp pro downgrade just so I don't have to another foot down of Mickey soft dumbing down its user interface.

The only thing in XP I look forwards to is the shadow backup or copy service. I'm used to having that with btrieve files back when I had databases on Novell servers.

If I have to install the downgrade myself, I'll poke at it before wiping win7 aka Vista SP? It will be nice to have a box soon that I can devote to linux

I did a bit of googling.

Tomorrow, maybe I'll make uncles day.

Wes

Currently running W2k SP4 which no longer gets patches thus the move to XP.

Wes

There is an Agent Usenet group - don't remember the actual group name

- but easy enough to find - where you can get help. After a few slaps on the wrist for not reading the help files I found them very helpful.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb (jdslocombatgmail)

Reply to
J. D. Slocomb

isn't real good

I've been using

I use with

I ditched Pegasus a few months ago, HTML did not work on it. 90% of my mail now is HTML.

ThunderBird works well.

I try to use as few MS progams as possible, fiqure it keeps me slightly more virus safe.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy