Ot-what's your favorite e-mail software?

My wife needs software for e-mail. She is barely computer savvy. I use Agent and I really like it but it's main strength is for newsgroups. I used to use Eudora Light. It was OK. Both Agent and Eudora are light years better than Outlook. More aptly named Lookout in my opinion. So, what's your favorite and simplest e-mail software? Thanks, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I like Mozilla Thunderbird. Rock solid.

Reply to
Jim

Eudora.

Pegasus is also an easy one to use.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

We use Netscape 7.2, now proud owners of maybe 1% market share. It has significantly improved lately. It's easy to block Flash popups, you can easily completely disable AIM, it blocks browser popups, and it's fully integrated. And it's open source so it keeps getting better even though AOL owns it and has tried for a couple of years now to starve it to death.

I don't understand why anyone would want a standalone mail tool in Windows.

The whole idea is 'click on a link' ..

Grant

Eric R Snow wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Hi Grant, Using Agent allows me to do just that. It's nice because it doesn't open anything unless I tell it to. I love just clicking on links. I've never tried using Netscape or Mozilla for mail. Since I'm using Agent as a news reader mainly the e-mail part has just come along for the ride and I really like it. When I want to look at a jpg the software that came with my camera, ACDsee, opens it. Netscape used to but ACDsee works better. I guess I can download the new Netscape to her computer and try it. Thank You, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Opera if a client is needed. Opera is both a browser and e-mail client in one package. Because I want to be able to manage e-mail from multiple locations without carrying around a computer, I use Yahoo web-based e-mail. My address book and mail folders are not restricted to a particular PC. What specific requirement do you have for e-mail which needs a client?

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I love Pegasus. Hate Outlook Pegasus seems to be immune to all the "bugs" out there.... Its not perfect but works very well for me. Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

I used Netscape for a long time, first on Windows, then on Linux. My boss mentioned that Mozilla ran VASTLY faster, and you didn't get all those pop-ups. So, I tried it, and I'm now a convert, too. (Mozilla is basically the real browser inside Netscape), but it turns out you not only don't need the Netscape bells and whistles, you DON'T WANT THEM!

I'm doing all this on Linux, and have moved everything except mechanical and electronic CAD work over to Linux. I couldn't be happier to leave all the Microsoft CRAP behind! My kids still run W2K on a PC, and it has constant problems. If you run one app first, then the other apps won't print or display right. It is all so stupid, its beyond belief.

A bunch of guys working in their spare time create a system that is 100 times more robust than a multi-billion $ corporation with 30,000+ programmers!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The new Mozilla that comes with Mandrake Linux 9.2 has a pretty decent spam filtering function that learns what you designate as spam. That alone is worth the trouble of getting it running. (I don't know if all Netscapes will have the same feature, but Netscape is based on Mozilla.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Eudora 6.0 has the best spam filtering system I've ever dealt with. Not foolproof, but MUCH better than the big expensive commercial package they use at work.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

For a simple an effective solution, simply have her sign up for a Yahoo Mail account, where the only reader you'll ever need is Microsoft Explorer.

I use it all the time and it works very well for me, hence I have never bothered with Eudora Light or Agent, neither of which provide you with a very effective mail server.

Just my opinion, but I though that I should share it.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

--Putty, via unix shell

Reply to
steamer

Grant Erwin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I like Netscape also. I suppose one of the "purer" mozilla products would be good too.

Netscape has a lot of very nice features in an easy to use GUI. The address book tools are nice.

It can be extensively customized. If you are setting it up for another person you can configure it to be extremely simple.

Reply to
Dev Null

Well ... you asked, without bothering to limit it to any given OS, so I will tell you what *my* favorite e-mail client is -- on my various unix systems.

It is named "mutt", and it comes in source code form, so you can compile it for your system, instead of having to wait for a vendor to get around to compiling it for your systems. It is free. And, if you don't like something about it (which they have not already handled in configuration options), you can dig into the source code and fix it -- and contribute the changes to the maintainers.

However, I strongly suspect that you are asking about Windows systems (since I don't think that Agent runs on anything but Windows).

For that, I'll wait to see what others suggest. But you *did* ask wide open. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu (Doug White) wrote back on Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:28:56 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I'm using Eudora 5.2.1 with Mailwasher to prefilter for spam. "Works for me." Agent 1.93 to handle newsgroups. Firefox 0.9 for a browser.

Nothings really perfect. but ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I like Agent for mail as well as news!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Becky -

Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

I use Polarbar

It's a cross-platform Java app which I find very easy to use. One feature especially import to me (since I'm on a dial up) is the preview. One click and it downloads all the headers and allows me to preview the first few hundred bytes of the message. I can delete several tens of spams without ever downloading them.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Reply to