OT: Fax machines on broadband problem?

I have a Lexmark laser fax machine on a POTS line that also has DSL. In addition, I have 4 POTS voice lines that rotor. I don't have problems
with the fax machine at all but I have a handful of customers that I can't send or receive faxes from. It seems the common denominator is that these customers all have cable internet and phone.
I would like to change over to cable for a 25% cost savings and a lot more speed but am concerned that we might have even more fax problems.
Is there a simple cure at my end for the customers' faxing problem?
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:14:42 -0500, the renowned Tom Gardner

VOIP doesn't seem to support fax very well. Suggest you consider dropping the line and using a fax-to-computer service (there are a number of them out there). Then you can convert all your voice lines to VOIP and save a lot of money (probably way more than 25% if you're using Ma Bell and have 800 lines). I'm lazy, so I've kept a minimal POTS line (without caller id etc.) for fax, but it's a bit of a waste of money. If you use distinctive ring and a fax that supports it, the line can be used for voice in the case the network goes down or you need to call 911 reliably.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Tom Gardner wrote:

Send it as a PDF. There is too much latency on most VOIP calls, which causes the handshaking between fax machines to fail. Have you looked at the new Magic Jack Plus? It was just put on the market, and plugs into your network to make & recieve calls. No need to leave a computer on all the time. They are $70 for the harware & first year service, and $29,99 a year after that. You could use them for your no fax lines, and leave one POTS line for the FAX machine.
BTW, don't you hate it when you get a fairly new, free laptop that's brain dead? The battery takes acharge, and the charger is good.
I just picked up a Dell Inspiron 1526 that won't turn on. A new CMOS battery may make it work, but they are a royal pain in the DNC to dismantle without breaking something. Apparently, they started dying when the model was just two years old. I still havean old Dell Latitude with Win 98 I use since it's the only laptop one that boots. It needs a new CMOS battery, but it just complains that the RTC clock is wrong when it boots.

Hmmm, I LIKE Dells! To me, they are easy to disassemble and the connectors are robust. Also, I like the disassembly instructions from Dell and other sources and they are easy and cheap to get parts for.
Tom Gardner wrote:

Having to remove the display to change a 20 cent coin cell is just plain sloppy design work. They should put it in the large Memory & wireless compartment. That's like having to pull the engine, just to change a side marker light. Their older laptops were easier to work on, without having to pry apart brittle plastic panels. That's probably the reason it was donated, no one was willing to try to fix it for a reasonable price.

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 23:49:59 -0500, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"

Is this really true?
2008 Malibu-
The steps needed to replace the headlight bulb are as follows:
1. Open the hood and remove the plastic cover above the radiator (14 screws). 2. Jack up the car and remove the wheel (five lug nuts). 3. Remove the wheel-well liner (15 screws and pop-rivets). ED: Inner fender? 4. This exposes two bolts that hold the bumper in place; remove these bolts and slide off the end of the bumper. 5. Now, you can reach the three bolts that hold in the headlight assembly; remove the headlight assembly and replace the bulb. 6. Replace everything (29 screws, nuts, bolts, and pop-rivets).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me. The UAW is famous for assembly methods that take extra labor, to create more union jobs. In the '70s a Delco engineer told me they had a new car radio design that went in through the front of the dash, and could be connected & installed in under two minutes. The UAW raised so much hell, GM continued to use the existing design that took closer to 15 minutes. Ford built some station wagons that required you to drop the steering wheel, and remove most of the dash to service the radio. It took over four hours, just to remove the damn radio. Most of them were made by Philco, which were hard to get parts for so that meant another wasted day to reinstall the radio. We blacklisted several models & years of Fords, even though the dealership threatened to find another shop to do the actual service work.

    Late 70's Pontiac. To change the spark plugs required a hoist and a five foot extension on the ratchet. As the only way to get to the rear most plug was from underneath.
    At least it isn't like having to remove the intake manifold to reach the second set of plugs on MazdaRanger. (Should have sprung for the plugs & wires which offered less radio interference.)
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr

Those vehicles' engine compartments were designed for the GM Rotary Engine, and they were too far along to change when it tanked for high emissions and low MPG.

The 2.3l four? The plugs come out through the gaps between the manifold runners with a long enough extension. Good place for platinum plugs.
jsw
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:55:12 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

That reminds me of the shoehorning of a V-8 into a Mustang. Flat rate hours for a tuneup: 5.1 to R&R engine, replace plugs. Lots of Stangs ended up in the junk yard after guys cut access holes in the inner fender wells and destroyed the unibody effect.

Platinum's good. What about the newest tech offerings, gold electrodes, zirconia enriched ceramics, double platinum electrodes, and pulse plugs? Anyone use these? Anyone get improved performance?
I got at least 5x better plug life from platinums in the old Ford.
-- Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason. -- John Kord Lagemann

    Mine. The one with four cylinders and eight plugs. I didn't _have_ to remove the intake manifold, to change plugs, but I was doing it anyway to pull the head. Figured "might as well change everything while I can do it "easily"."

--
pyotr

    Not again, anytime soon anyways.

--
pyotr
Faxes do NOT work on VOIP. If you think that it is liberal propaganda just because I said it, search for "VOIP fax". I have a e-fax account with MyFax.com, which works pretty well for me, since I am mobile.

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:19:58 -0600, Ignoramus19453

Do digital faxes (are they?) work better than the butt fugly old fax technology? I always avoided faxes due to the gawdawful lack of clarity. Those just sucked.
I'm photographing documents and sending them as JPGs since I moved to Win7 and my old scanners wouldn't work. Luckily, that happens ony about a dozen times a year.
-- In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create. -- Raoul Vaneigem

I do not have a fax machine (actually I do, but it is not hooked up).
I receive and send faxes through myfax (by email).
The fxes that I have to get from paper, I scan with an old scanner. I wrote a shell script to do it the way I like.

I convert JPEgs to faxes using "convert" Linux utility.
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:05:42 -0600, Ignoramus19453

How's the output quality, compared to the raw JPG?
-- In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create. -- Raoul Vaneigem

About same, not surprisingly.
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:20:26 -0600, Ignoramus27667

Why do you say "not surprisingly"? Fax machines have historically been truly lousy at rendering anything. If they did so, when did they get good? I'll admit that I haven't followed fax technology for years, since I last needed one.
-- In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create. -- Raoul Vaneigem
On 11/29/2011 9:19 PM, Ignoramus19453 wrote:

Yea, yea...Liberal propaganda, THAT must be it! ! <LOL>
Why do these cable people tell me that I'm the only one they have problems with? (It must be because I have conservative leanings) Is there any changes I could make on machine settings that might help?

I would say, try voting for Obama and see if this helps.