OT: Fax machines on broadband problem?

On 11/30/2011 9:21 AM, Ignoramus27667 wrote:

OK, if you're sure that will help...how many times? (I'll pretend I'm a Democrat)
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:21:06 -0600, Ignoramus27667

That Obama, he gonna pay my rent for me and get me free cable!
_Please_ tell me you were joking, Ig.
-- In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create. -- Raoul Vaneigem

    Well, maybe this time it might.

--
pyotr
pyotr filipivich wrote:

INSANITY!!!

Gunner Asch wrote:

It didn't the last time he did. You know what they say about insanity, and doing the same thing over & over while hoping for different results when you should make a change you can beleive in.

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:19:58 -0600, Ignoramus19453 wrote:

Never had a problem faxing over Vonage.
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:26:26 -0800, the renowned Gunner Asch

Some customers still want faxes, especially for legal documents such as NDAs and other contracts. And, you know, the customer is always right.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Didn't see my solution mentioned and it works for me.
I use efax.com with their fax number. All incoming faxes go to them and then come in on email. No more dedicated phone line.
We send outgoing faxes through a printer and modem. I think you can send faxes with efax.com also, but I don't see the need unless you send so many that it ties up your phone lines.
Karl

I send faxes by email. If I need to send a fax to 666-555-1212, I send it to snipped-for-privacy@myfax.com.
I registered both my email addresses with them, so when they get these emails, they send it on my behalf.
On 11/30/2011 7:01 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I like that! I'll look into it, thanks!

I do not know of a cure, but we switched to VOIP from Comcast (I know, but it was the only provider) and, other than initial line problems related to a Comcast lack of actually surveying the site, we have not had any problems with fax on the lines. We have only a two voice line rollover and a single fax line, but I have no reason to assume that if we upped the number of voice lines that it would make a difference. IMHO it remains a crap shoot regarding line quality and service as I think that all the phone and network companies deservie the seventh level of hell and the results you get are primarily based the phase of the moon when they do the install, but we are saving almost 50% over the POTS setup we had and have access to additional services that would have been extra on the old system.
On 11/30/2011 7:21 AM, Doc wrote:

I want to go cable, I like the idea of 12mb internet AND the cost savings. In addition, we'd get free analog TV...not that I'd watch it but it might be nice in the employee break room. (The girls could keep up with their stories.)

But you still need to keep One or Two Analog POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) lines that come straight from Ye Olde Phone Company on copper cables. Because it's no-nonsense 99.9999% reliable - that's downtime measured in seconds per year.
Try calling 911 on the VOIP with the power out, and it probably is not going through. The POTS line, you pick it up and you'll get that same boring old Dial Tone damn near every time.
You want to do the same thing that the Phone Company does - except they have an emergency line coming in from ANOTHER neighboring central office, so if their switch ever did go down that hard...
Hang a red single-line telephone on the wall, or a desk set on a little shelf in the hall with the loudest "wake the dead" gong ringer you can find. And the employees and spouses know the Emergency Number - and if you call it, it better be a real emergency.
That's the phone line (that still works) you call out on to ream the Cable Company a new one when the main service goes down again. As you'll find out, there's no FCC Mandate for reliable service on Cable VOIP or other transmission methods than POTS.
If the Cable Co. loses power to one amplifier anywhere on the path back to the head-end (or all of them when the entire town goes down) the backup battery there (totally optional, BTW) might last an hour and then they are going down hard till someone finds and fixes the problem.
You might want a separate second analog line for the Burglar and Fire Alarm systems to call out on, and that can double as your Fax line.
--<< Bruce >>--
"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
//

Good catch! I'd better check with the alarm company.

For a proper CYA move, you have one Analog POTS line for the alarm dialer, and set up a radio system as the alternate - there are several solutions out there, either a dedicated "trunked radio" style system like AlarmNet, or a GSM or LTE Data solution from several different Cellco carriers. And it will make your insurance company a LOT happier that there's a second system backup.
An alarm system triggering off is really a series of SMS messages - you need maybe two dozen bytes per "call" to the Central Station - the three to six digit Account Number, a two or three digit code for each zone and one digit to represent tripped or reset.
This is why the original data formats for old alarm receivers are around 110-Baud yet still plenty fast enough - at those speeds they are rock solid reliable, rarely needs a re-send... And that phone line can be shared as a fax line, the Alarm will seize the line if it wants to call out. Unless the Alarm Company wants the ability to dial into the panel for remote programming access - but they can do that over the Internet too, and far easier.
--<< Bruce >>--
"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" wrote:

My parents had VOIP through Brighthouse, and had nothing but trouble. If the local node has too many users, there are dead times. Movies on demand get priority, then the broadband users most of what's left. They kept increasing the Broadband bandwidth, without upgrading the equipment. My internet radio drops WSM for minutes at a time, and I have to log back into Giganews fairly often, but they insist the problems are all on my end. Their analog TV channels are all screwed up, as well.

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"

If we lose phones it is typically a total power failure and having phones without computers (or lights) doesn't do a lot for us. For emergencies we would use cell phones so paying for a POTS line (and having a separate account with another vendor) is not justified in our case.
Having made the switch from Verizon to Comcast, our experience has been much better in terms of reliability. Now god knows that I would never defend Comcast as they have demonstrated time and again how much they truly value customers (as in not at all) but in this case I think that the fact that Verizon was not willing to invest into updating infrastructure from what appears to be a 1970s vintage installation and Comcast had to run new cable to get to the facility is the difference in our case. As a said in my first message, it appears to be a crap shoot and neither is a sure thing. (jeez, the Vegas analogies just keep rolling, where is Steve when you need him) it just happened that in our specific situation it worked out for us.

My emergency backup is Virgin Mobile's prepaid Broadband2Go, which is as reliable as Sprint cell service (ymmv). Storms that take out the power usually cut my POTS connection too.
The Harbor Freight $149 solar panel has been enough to run a laptop.
POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service, ie a copper wire.
jsw
On 11/29/2011 06:14 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

If possible, send PDF files by email. A lot more reliable than any number of marginally compliant FAX modems that mostly sort-of manage to talk to one another over crackly copper lines.
Jon

Electronic fax service $10/mo. Send and receive faxes via email.
... Ok, to send hard documents you will need a page feed scanner ...
My EFAX service handles all the standard document formats. I even use it from my cell phone for testing customer fax machines when I am doing phone system work.