OT: For those that like heavy metal (gun related)

If you like guns, take a listen, if you don't. Don't waste your time.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

What sort of ammo/rifle would cause watermelons to explode like this?

I shot at watermelons with an AK (hollowpoint bullets), and while effects were kind of dramatic, they did not fully explode like those in that YouTube movie.

Ignoramus27446

Very nicely done!!

Thanks!

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

High velocity slugs. AK is only low or at best..medium velocity.

223, 22-250, 243, 308, 06..etc etc etc

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Basically there are two different kinds of slugs that would blow a melon up like that. Lighter weight bullets but high velocity will dissipate all their energy inside the melon thus blowing it up; think a .223 caliber round with 55 to 80- grains moving over 3,600 fps. Slower moving bullets like a .45 ACP or a .44 Mag with hollow point lead bullets moving around 1,000 to 1,500 fps will give the same effect.

Are you sure your AK-47 is a hollowpoint? Typically most AK-47 rounds are either full metal jacketed or jacketed with an exposed tip. They may have a muzzle velocity of 2,600 fps with a 170(?) grain bullet. That round will hit a water melon and penetrate through it before it really has a chance to expand inside the melon. The other rounds I mentioned will dissipate MORE energy while inside the melon thus creating an explosive effect.

In the film clip it looked like they were shooting at a short distance. Every fall after the first hard frost I take a load of watermelons or cantaloupes out to my farm and set them up at various distances. I especially like them at the thousand yard range because shooting paper at those ranges it is almost impossible to see if you hit paper through even a 60X spotting scope. However there is no doubt when you hit them with the Hi Power stuff , even at that range.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

We loved it. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Catchy Tune, too.

I got to pointing and clicking - and up comes "How not to tow a truck out" :

And more fun with dumb trucks. On thing I noticed - not a shovel amongst the group. It may be more "macho" to just jerk it out, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to dig out a jeep, than to break it and have to come back with either a trailer, or everything you need to replace an axle "in the field."

It is

pyotr filipivich