OT: Gates wants to verify yer copy of Windows?

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 05:00:29 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Unfortunately for us, he wasn't the only jerk on-air.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 22:35:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ken Finney" quickly quoth:

Excellent. Thanks, Ken.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've built my own computers since my first PC.

But today's x86 processors are optimized to run MS stuff (XP particularly) and there is precious little support for older OS.

When Lazarus (750 Mhz AMD K7 running 98SE) finally gives up the ghost, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Mac.

And be very happy about it too!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:25:29 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I sing, or talk with my passenger (whey I have one).

Or hook up the CD player with a tape deck adaptor, and play the long running mp3 compilation cds. And the older I get, the older the music I like. Big Band anyone?

But paying $12 a month to listen to stuff I don't like anyway?

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 21:30:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, pyotr filipivich quickly quoth:

You sing? Masochist. To your passenger? Sadist. ;)

I've found half a dozen mono-CD and Sirius stations I like on Dish. All play mostly instrumentals, which I MUCH prefer to singing. Sirius contemp and trad jazz, piano and guitar mono, moodscapes (jazz/new age), Intermezzo (lighter classical), and blues. I figure that if I get a portable XM radio with docks ($20-$40) and an XM scrip, it'll be usable in the truck, at home, and as a portable MP3 player. That will cost the same or less than the current scrip to the extra channels on Dish, but be usable in three times the places it is now.

As I get older, I found that I want more absolute quiet time. I moved to the country and liked that a lot. And I now go for many hours a day without any sound inside the house save the fridge cycling and my tinnitus. I only sing along when I'm listening to my old Tull CDs, and talk along (sound effects) with Firesign Theater. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well got around to it in the end, about 1 1/2 hours. The few times I looked I was getting 120Kb/sec.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:48:17 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Wayne Weedon quickly quoth:

Not bad at all. I hate it when things like that burp and there is no way to pick up where the download left off.

Remember downloads at 1200 baud? It took about 4 seconds per ascii character. Graphics were a nightmare. I sure don't miss those days.

-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote

1200 ! I remember 300 baud on terminals at the university. Even a page of text takes FOREVER. :-) ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:11:00 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Yeah, I was given a 300 baud modem and waited until I could save up enough for a 1,200 baud to really smoke online. I gave that 300 baud modem away, too. It's probably worth hundreds now that it's an antique. ;)

The first BBS I logged onto was Electro Shock Therapy in Fallbrook, CA.

-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was going to address this, line for line... :) But then I realized it's something that's been wandering around the web for a while. It is pretty funny.

TMT, hilarious. My mom, too. And in-laws... :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Larry Jaques wrote on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 05:15:57 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Hey, the scriptures say "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord." Who am I to argue with Him?

Cool. Unfortunately, last time I figured the budget, I'm about $350 short, a month. Cable was first to go.

Yeah, me too. Only I do that at work, and the funniest thing is, I don't have people crowding around me ...

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

If you want free - look here

You can create your radio staions - and Pandora will play songs similar to the ones you enjoy.

Pretty nice- I listen to this site a lot.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Dunning