OT gestetner paper

This is a little off topic but with the variety of arcane knowledge here I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm looking for someplace to get the waxy type gestetner paper. This is the style that you can write or type on and then reproduce what you've written.

I'd greatly apprexciate aplce to either buy it online or any other suggestions on where to find it. If it makes a difference I'm located in Western Canada.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
xkbal

Mimeograph stencils? For example...

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Jim Stewart

wrote: (clip) I'm looking for someplace to get the waxy type gestetner paper. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ As others have pointed out, you are looking for Mimeograph stencils. Since Mimeograph is a brand name, they should more properly be called duplicator stencils. It's been a while since I used mine, but Gestetner used to have a companion machine that would scan the original, and "burn" a stencil, using a little electrode spark system with a spinning drum. This required a special stencil, and it was capable of reproducing much finer detail than the wax paper type you are thinking of.

But, you make me wonder. With all the copiers that are around, why would you want to fool with a messy old stencil duplicator? Too bad you aren't close by--I would happily GIVE you my old machines.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Is this for the Offset process - I assume so from the mention - Std typewriters ok. The drawing is by a special stylist. The printer is a messy machine but does great work.

Another waxy type of paper is duplicator - the purple ink type - that a normal ball pen and typewriters work on.

Both are found in places like schools and churches.

Be sure you know which one - I think you do - but sometimes we get caught in using names and get the wrong one.

Used both. Both are messy.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks to all who provided ideas and spots to look for the materials.

I actually don't want it for copying. I built a small unit for electrochemically etching marks on metal. I've experimented with a few different electrolytes and am also looking at different stencil materials. I was recently told be someone that these old mimeograph stencils would work well and thought I'd give them a try. Curious to see how they compare, price and quality, with the real deal from some of the marking companies.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
xkbal

No. Mimeograph uses a stencil, often made on a typewriter. He's thinking of a hectograph. They usually made purple copies.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Al, Have you tried plain old waxed paper as found in grocery stores? I always wondered if it would work with the electroetch I have, which I haven't used in years. Love to hear how it goes if you try.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote: Have you tried plain old waxed paper as found in grocery stores? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I used to have a Mimeographing business, and I have cut LOTS of stencils. I am sure it won't work--but you get half-credit for the idea. The wax on a real stencil is formulated to flow under pressure. Wrapping waxpaper is harder, to prevent the wax from moving or sticking to things.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I don't think so. Based on the OP's later post, it seems he's using the paper as a stencil to etch thru, not to transfer a wax resist. Gestetner paper is mimeograph paper.

Those pleasant solvent smelling copies from 1950s & 1960s school were from a ditto machine, or spirit duplicator, a variation of the hectograph. Strictly speaking, a hectograph has a reusable gelatin pad as the printing "plate".

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

If the person wants to etch through the holes in the stencil - it is for a Gestetner Mimeograph - offset printer. The printer presses ink through the stencil onto paper - makes the fuzzy black (typically) ink prints. Fuzzy because of the silk used in the stencil.

A quicky way of instead of doing a silk screen through exposure and developing....

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Ned Simm> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Hi Al,

What you are looking for is mimeograph stencils. My company, Ink Tech/Repeat-O-Type does stock them. We have sold them to persons doing electroetching of metal. You can contact me at 800-288-3330 9:30am to

5:00pm weekdays.

Fred Keen snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
fredkeen