OT: Indian Point Nuke Plant

I see their is going to be a show on HBO tonight about the Indian Point plant. Just wondering if this is going to be another scare- mongering show or what?

Reply to
Jim

Of course. I've never had any problems with that plant - besides having the extra legs and eyes makes it easier overall.

Jim (about one mile from Indian Points 2 and 3. IP one is now the spend fuel pool for two and three.

Reply to
jim rozen

Some people just don't appreciate having a nuke plant in their neighborhood. When I had a boat I kept it moored right near the Oyster Creek nuke. Man, the crabs coming out of that creek were big as roosters! Once you got past the three or four eyes, the extra legs were just a bonus.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I *still* have an article about one plant in particular where they were periodically cleaning the trash racks for the cooling water intakes.

Of lobsters.

The game warden guys (lobster wardens?) finally caught one of these fellows, by opening the trunk of his full size sedan. Which was full.

Of lobsters.

Apparently the plant workers had been bringing about one trunkful of lobsters out of the plant - since about when it was first put into operation.

Lobster, anyone?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Just saw an interview on Fox with the director, Rory Kennedy. She is the sister of a guy who apparently has made a career out of trying to get the plant shutdown. The show will probably be a popular rerun on Al-Jazeera as it is supposed to go into a fair amount of detail on exactly which parts of the plant are most vunerable.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Twin-tailed and glow-in-the-dark, or standard?

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ah, just FYI I think that I would not attempt to assault that plant, at least right now. It's pretty heavilly guarded.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

The best part is that the are already cooked. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

neighborhood.

Well, they're irradiated for long-term storage, anyway. You can leave them out on the kitchen countertop for a few weeks with no loss of flavor.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I would expect so. I'm about 10 miles from Shearon-Harris (they send out the mandatory evacuation notices and plans on some pretty nice calendars) and I've heard rumors that it's not a very friendly place if you don't have an appointment.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

It's supposed to be a real hatchet job on plant security and how the government needs to have a "no-fly" zone around it to prevent someone from trying to crash a GA aircraft into the plant. Word is that the plant people got suckered in to this one. A Kennedy driven/produced/supported Michael Moore type show. Probably not worth using as toilet paper if it were dubbed to 2" videotape.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig

I've been in the control room and stood over the reactor at WNP2 in Richland Washington before 911.

I don't think it would be appropriate to describe their security except to say that it was *intense*. Much better than what I've seen anywhere else, and I've been to a few DOE and military facilities.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I once watched a guy slicing a drowned seal up with an axe. They had a real problem with seals swimming into the warm outlets in search of the fish that thronged there, then getting stuck and drowned.

Is Indian Point the one with the badly corroded PV cap, owing to some problem with unseen boric acid precipitating out, or is that another plant ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Larry

Andy Dingley wrote: They had a

I was not there at the time so I can't confirm this. I was doing some work at Carolina Power & Light Brunswick. One of the fellows told us that an alligator had made its way past the grates and into the containment building. So we asked what one does when an alligator shows up in the containment building. The answer? "Whall, ya cut his tail off an paint him yeller, and you got the meanest dog in the neighborhood".

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

When I worked at what was then called the "National Reactor Testing Station," the guards at our plant carried side arms, but they were only allowed to have one cartridge. I wonder if that policy has changed, yet.

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

One cartridge? In case they were captured by enemy forces?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

On 11 Sep 2004 03:19:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) calmly ranted:

Probably to kill the ninja.

This thread reminds me of John Travolta's line in the movie "Broken Arrow". (Princess Daisy was looking good there, too.)

"Please don't shoot at the nuclear weapon."

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

The usual justification is that it's as a noisemaker to alert the rest.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

This reminds me of a pet peeve with regard to security. Much of the security effort nowadays is installation of cameras and alarms

*instead* of employing armed forces to resist attacks. Cameras and alarms can alert you that hostile forces have entered your premises, but without an effective way to respond to that entry, they do no good at all.

Case in point, at our facility, off duty *armed* police officers have been replaced by cameras and one *unarmed* security guard at the front desk in the lobby watching those cameras. If there is trouble, *all* she can do is watch as the hostiles seize or kill her before continuing to take the rest of the place.

At the very least, the security monitoring station should be located where the security person will have a chance to call 911 before being overwhelmed. Given the response time of local police, even that is of marginal utility.

Response to hostile action needs to be immediate and sufficient to stop the action in order to be effective. In the 1960s, I visited South America on holiday. I went into the National Bank to change some currency. Beautiful place, lots of ornate marble architecture, and sandbagged machinegun nests manned by military troops. No bank robberies there.

In the old Soviet Union, nuclear materials were transported via military convoy. In the US, we use a civilian truck. Sure, it has alarms, and satellite tracking, but there isn't enough firepower on the scene to immediately deal with any serious attempts on it. That's crazy.

We've got lots of troops, garrisoned at lots of (expensive to maintain) bases located in the middle of nowhere. It would appear to make more sense to garrison some of those troops at high value targets like nuclear plants, dams, etc.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman