OT : Kerosene space heaters

I have a "Master" Kerosene space heater and the other day I filled it with diesel thinking it would be a lot cheaper. It worked for a while and then quite. The blowers still runs and it smells like a mist of diesel is being made but it does not ignite. First of all can these heaters burn diesel or strictly kerosene. (the smell is not an issue) Also what has gone wrong with the ignition system, I assume it is similar to a burner in a furnace or boiler. Thanks

Reply to
habbi

FWIW I use diesel in my torpedo heater all the time. Your breakdown was just a coincidence. Mine just needs a cleaning when this happens.

Diesel has more heavy wax in it than kerosene, not as refined a grade. I use kerosene as an improved #1 diesel for extreme cold weather starting in the John Deere.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Reply to
habbi

Reply to
habbi

I did not read the original post, but I just fixed my sputtering Lawnboy by replacing the O-ring in the jet. Runs GREAT now!

Reply to
Ms. Manners

Reply to
habbi

Reply to
JR North

Reply to
Roy J

Check the intake filter(screen) at the bottom of the tube, or actually inside the pickup tube - it could be covered with crud - also check the gap on the plug. It should fire and run fine. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

The transformer is dead. A new one is over $100.00 and the 20 year old heater is only around 300 new. So could I hook up and old AC 110 to DC 12 volt transformer from an old video game or something and connect it to an automotive ignition coil. Would the small plug in type transformer supply enough current for the automotive coil to opperate. Or what about using an old tranformer from a oil fired home heating boiler. I was told they have 2 leads of 5000 volts each and maybe I could just use 1 and get the needed

5000 volts? Thanks for any ideas.
Reply to
habbi

Feeding sinewave AC to an automotive coil will burn it out. It isn't designed for that. The output voltage would be disappointingly low in any case. The output voltage of the coil is proportional to di/dt, the rate of change of current, and a sinewave has a *much* smaller rate of change than a make and break switching waveform.

A home heating oil transformer, or neon sign transformer, would produce the sort of voltage you need from mains AC.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

The old oil furnace transformer may work BUT I have a concern about the spark eating away the tips on the sparkplug - typically the oil furnace has a little more robust electrodes to handle the spark. Is there an electric eye that shuts off the transformer after ignition? If so, then you may be okay. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

Gary, he typed AC110 to DC12, but regardless, your point about the spark being weak may be valid. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
habbi