OT: killed my computer

I really did it now. My computer was getting REAL REAL SLOOOOOOW.
So, I thought I'd re-install the OS and start over. After backing everything
up, I stuck in the windows disk, entered the product number and a couple more questions and it said it needed to reboot, fine. The machine then hung up and wouldn't shut down. So, after a long while I hard booted it. Big mistake, the thing is dead now.
The machine won't try to boot from HD, floppy or CDrom. I get a message saying mouse found, keyboard found, push F10 for utility or <Del> to enter setup. No response from the F10 key. The <Del> key makes the computer say "Entering Setup..." but nothing else happens. I can't get to the CMOS setup.
Any suggestions?
Karl
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:23:51 -0600, "Karl Townsend"

Can't get to the CMOS setup? Hmm.. maybe the CMOS data is corrupted or the battery is dead.
Until you can get to the BIOS setup there's not much point in tryihng anything else.
Did you change anything else (eg. video card or RAM) at the same time?
At least you have a complete backup!

There ought to be a shorting conector on the motherboard Karl. Connecting the pins with one of those little black rectangular bridges will clear the CMOS and restore the default setup parameters. Look on the board or in the instruction manual.
JC
John R. Carroll wrote:

Could be a failing hard drive or CDROM. Disconnect all IDE cables and see if you can now get setup and also boot from floppy (warning, If an IDE/ATA device is mis-configured or not present, some BIOSes can take about five minutes to enter setup so be prepared to wait). If so, reconnect one at a time untill you find the failing device.
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:50:22 -0800, "John R. Carroll"

Chexk the tops of all the electrolitic caps on the motherboard. They should ALL be concave and clean with little cross-cuts.
Any bulged caps are bad.
Not a bad idea to try a diferent power supply either.. Bad caps in power supplies can cause the same issue. Also, if it has a "plug in" video card, remove it, try to start it again , shut it RIGHT DOWN, not just the soft switch and try again. I've had several GeForce cards, as well as others, behave this way.

Test your power supply. Take out all cards and memory modules, clean contacts. Reset the CMOS. Try power-up with nothing other than a video card (if the video isn't on board) and one memory module. Try the memory module in different slots if it won't POST. Swap power supply with a known good one. If you get it to POST, hook up one thing at a time. (hard drive, optical, floppy, etc.)
I pulled my three USB hard disks off and the machine booted. its trying to install windows now. So things are a bit better.
I've put three power supplies in this damn 'puter in less than a year. I've never replaced a power supply anyplace else. Is this the trouble again?
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

Do your USB disks have their own power supplies, or do you have them attached via a powered hub? Three disks is rather a lot to try to power via USB.

yes, they each have a walwart type power supply.
Say, I seen some kind of USB error scroll by, once. Now I got windows re-installed and its splash screen hides everything. I thought I heard about a way to kill this screen so you got a chance to read startup messages.
Karl Townsend wrote:

The system may have just looked for and not located one of the drives you disconnected. I wouldn't worry too much about that error message just yet.
Karl Townsend wrote:

Best to leave extraneous devices like those USB drives disconnected during OS installs and add them back later after the OS is in and determined to be stable.

Error messages are stored in system (event) logs so that the informed tech can learn later what was failing - even before it causes a system problem. You are the tech. Therefore you must collect facts before trying to fix something. System logs are one place to start.
Once the system is up, what does Device Manager report both before and after each USB device is connected?
Your problem started when you tried to fix something before learning what was wrong. That strategy often exponentially complicates the problem - as you now know. Never fix things without first collecting facts. Shotgunning fixing something without knowing why - is not recommended anywhere; not just on computers.
Three power supplies? The market is full of power supplies that are missing essential functions - marketed to computer assemblers who have no electrical knowledge. Those supplies hype big watts as if that foolishness means a more robust supply. A supply marketed only on dollars and watts will tend to fail more often because of who it is being marketed to.

[...]
Don't you love the 500 watters that weigh 6 ounces?
Karl Townsend wrote:

What wattage PS are you installing? You may want to go to one a bit higher rated. If it's rated high enough you may want to put it on a UPS as it could be getting a surge.

TO do any good it needs to be a double conversion ups, not one of the little cheap S-UPS's.. Surges pass right through those
jk

A power supply tester is a good <$20 investment. I buy the better end of the scale and have had less than 5% failure. Three failures is either sub-par supplies or you have a real problem. You might consider an active UPS to keep power clean and steady.
Check your failed supplies for popped fuses inside, they all have fuses.
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 19:32:22 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"

Anyone running a computer nowadays (given the quantity of electrical noise and fluctuation on the lines) which is _not_ on a UPS is a fool.
I paid $150 for my TrippLite Internet Office UPS ten years ago and I've put a battery in it ($17) since then. I bought the UPS after having lost the best sales pitch I'd ever written to a one second glitch in the CA power service. I vowed "never again!", and if the guy who caused the glitch had been in my room at the time, I'd have taken him outside and drawn and quartered him right then and there.
I found a UPS for my entertainment system (stereo/dvd/vcr/sat box then) at Staples for $30 on sale. UPSes are cheap enough now, and since the power line noise just sucks today, they're a necessity.
-- The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions. -- Ellen Glasglow

Larry After you cooled down were you able to rewrite your sales pitch? I have had to recreate artwork done in a CAD program I use because I forgot to save it as I went along and had my computer freeze. I found it easier to do the second time but not nearly as enjoyable. Steve
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:45:06 -0600, the infamous "Up North"

Yeah, but it wasn't quite the same afterward. Anger and creative inspiration do _not_ play nicely together, so some of my most creative thoughts didn't make it back on paper. I did get the new client, but I had to work at it. I had been careful to save most other documents every few minutes, but you know how it is when you're inspired. You forget those silly things. IAC, that was the last straw. If I'd had a red button in front of me right then, San Diego Gouge and Extorsion would have been nuked...once the power was back on. <g>
I haven't been without a UPS since.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Notice I mention an "Active" UPS. That way the computer is always running on the battery and inverter circuitry. The passive UPSs switch to battery when they detect an out of parameter condition. BIG difference!