OT -- Looking for a Plastics Parts Manufacturer

An upcoming project I have requires a plastic (generic description) radome. I'm not familiar with any companies that do this so I thought I'd turn to the source that pretty much knows everything!

The total number will be 6400 units during the spring and summer of

2006. Pictured as an upside down flower pot, they will be 18 inches diameter at the bottom, 12 diameter at the top and 16 tall. There will also be a flat, circular base required for the radome to attach to.

I would appreciate any leads to companies that could guide me as to the best material to use and to quote this job for me. I'd prefer a company in North or South Carolina.

If you want to reply directly, use this email address

2z5prwr02 (at) sneakemail.com

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
not given

Knowing the material you want it made out of is a big deal! AFAIK most radomes are polyester/fiberglass, but when you're dealing with microwaves the details of the material can make a big difference -- you don't want a radome that's opaque at your frequency of interest or that scatters the waves.

This guy

may be able to help you out on specifying materials & design details, and may even help you to qualify shops. Tell him I sent you -- I doubt that he'll remember me, but I remember him.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I build injection molds. If I had a print, and knew what type of material you wanted it out of, this might be a large enough volume to justify the tooling cost.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

If you are making a real radome there are a lot of things to be considered. First, what frequency is it running at? The radome itself is usually made of a honeycomb material and the size and thickness of the material is partially determined by the wavelength/frequency. There is also how to handle the problem of static buildup on the radome.

John

Reply to
John