OT - Microsoftless Computing

Have been using Mozilla Firebird web browser for about a week now. Very nice, very small, very fast. And best of all, very FREE. Take a look if interested:

Win, Mac, Unix, Linux flavors.

Regards,

Marv

Reply to
Marv Soloff

I'll second that motion.

I've been using the full Mozilla for web/e-mail/usenet for many months now. I especially like the popup blocking feature. I almost forget how annoying popup ads are, until I'm forced to use some other browser on a foreign machine.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jim Wygralak | Any e-mail that does not contain my address on the To: snipped-for-privacy@visi.com | line will be assumed to be spam and will be filtered

Reply to
darus

Downloaded the full Mozilla but wanted to try it (Firebird) before I pulled the plug on Netscape 7.1. Myriad problems with the N7.1/WinXP combo. I hesitate to flat out say that the problems are with the Microsoft end of the deal, but its beginning to look that way. The Mozilla code is looks better and better and is very clean. Moot point, though, the Linux box is up and running (KDE 3.1) and I may be able to say goodbye to Microsoft before the end of the year.

Regards,

Marv

snipped-for-privacy@visi.com wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

And get all the plugins. Works very well. Ive changed my default browser from IE to Firebird.

Looks like great minds think alike

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

Thunderbird, the newsgroup/mail client, is still not as good as Eudora or Agent though.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

I like Mozilla (I'm on 1.3, will go to 1.4 soon) for a browser and email.

I use Agent for newgroups but not email. It seems so stupid that Agent does not have nested directories to organize and store email in.

It is on the wanted or planned features list but development on Agent does not seem to move real fast.

If mozilla or thunderbird gets much better, Agent may lose me.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

You can make Folders for that, which I do often. Machine Correspondence, Survival Correspondence, Pending, etc etc

IIRC..the original company Forte, that did Agent sold out to Qualcomm, and Qualcomm went on record as having plans to discontinue Agent. Evidently the subsequent uproar was enough to change their mind. This about a year or two past.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

And lo, it came about, that on 05 Sep 2003 15:21:45 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , snipped-for-privacy@visi.com () was inspired to utter:

I ticked the option to play a sound when it blocks a popup. Got a Big Ben type "Bong". Sometimes, it sounds like a clock in here. :-)

tooodles

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

And lo, it came about, that on Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:28:57 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , Marv Soloff was inspired to utter:

I tried Firebird, cause all I wanted was the browser. Nice, but it took one minute and 9 seconds to load the same page Mozilla did in 29 seconds. I'm too impatient as it is ... I'm sticking with the Mozilla browser.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I like to have directories and subdirectories. Those are the things that Bill Gates invented as folders and subfolders in window speak. You can't do that can you?

I have about 25-30 folders, most of which have subfolders in them, and some of the subfolders have subfolders. I tried organizing the same filing structure without subfolders by using a numbering system but it wound up about 150 folders in length and just too complicated to use.

Imagine Windows Explorer with every single folder on the computer being in a single layer (no subfolders) off the root of c:\ in a single descending column. Thousands of folders!

Reply to
Jack Erbes

There's another structure which relies on the search function. I use it at work. Just chuck all mail you want to keep in a folder for the year. If you actually need something, the search function will find it quickly. At work we "retend" records, as in discard after the prescribed "retention period". Instead of having to dig through some

7 layer deep 200 folder structure and sort by date, I just delete the affected folder. Works great.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

|>From: snipped-for-privacy@visi.com () | |>Jim Wygralak | |>I especially like the popup blocking feature. | |I could use that. Will Mozilla or Firebird fit on a floppy? I'd like to use it |at the college without installing it.

Too big. Get a pocket flashdrive. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

pyotr filipivich scribed in :

which one did you do first. the page probably got cached somewhere and laoded from there for the second test

Reply to
DejaVU

And lo, it came about, that on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:42:56 +0000 (UTC) in rec.crafts.metalworking , DejaVU was inspired to utter:

As I recall it, I was loading separate images (comics) to prevent just that. I was also trying to load similar images (both black & with line drawings).

But now that you mention it, I'm not certain anymore. Dang. Now I shall have to set up a testing procedure.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich