OT - Microsoftless Computing

The Windows XP computer came down with heart failure last evening. Have to troubleshoot it. The Linux box was not quite ready, but I plugged it in and have had it up ever since. Just downloaded Netscape 7.1 and will get the latest Mozilla browser to go with it in a while. So far, so good. A bit strange going from Microcentric OS to Unix/Linux but I have the feeling I'll get used to it. So far, so good.

Regards,

Marv

Reply to
marv soloff

Mozilla is the full package (browser, mail, and all). If you get Mozilla you don't need (or want) Netscape too. I prefer Mozilla because it is out from under the supervision of Time/Warner/AOL or whoever those guys are.

You're a free man! Enjoy it! I hope to join you soon.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Jack Erbes squeezed out:

Reply to
Ian Timshel

I did this about 3 years ago, and have never looked back. I'm running Win 2K as a "guest" OS under Linux, by way of VMWare, which allows you to host virtual computers and virtual OSs under either Windows or Linux. Win 2K is quite stable in this environment. I have some CAD/CAM packages that do what I want and are already paid for, and the number of CAD/CAM programs available on Linux are still a bit slim. But, for general web surfing, developing web pages, working with photos, etc. I much prefer the Linux environment. Even Win 2K hangs for 15 seconds or so when you insert a CD or do half a dozen other things. Linux doesn't do that, you can still type, click the mouse, etc.

Note that there are hacking scripts for Linux, and some vulnerabilities. I've been hacked into twice. One time was a destructive hack that altered about 20 system utilities to try to get passwords. Due to a small bug in the code, I don't think it ever sent out my passwords, and left a pretty good trail of evidence. But, I had to undo all the hacking. Another time, it was just a port scanner, and I killed it. No modifications of significance, but I wasn't able to completely figure out how he got in. The first time was through a vulnerability in the Apache web server, the second time he used a trick to add a new (and phoney) print service, but I haven't figured out how he got in to do that.

Anyway, close all the ports you won't need, run only the net services that you really want available, and keep up with newly discovered vulnerabilities. It may actually work to run older OS software, as the hackers often use the newest tools to exploit the most recently discovered vulnerabilities.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

i had a nic fail during a power outage, taking down my WinTel98 host. my new(used) Dell 1.8ghz was sitting there on the other side of the kvm switch, loaded w/XpPro so it was natural to turn it on. it took a few days for me to get around to fixing the nic problem so i got familiar with the new box/os and discovered that _two_ systems just may be the way to go.

there is more to it than just two systems, i dunno how to explain it. in one way it is like a deluxe desktop, i never really have gotten used to aneecee/Msoft virtual desktops. but it's much more, will elaborate if anyone is interested.

the very first thing i noticed is the cable modem connection is snappy, consistantly faster than on the .7ghz Celeron box. why it takes a 1.8ghz box to get full bandwidth accross cable is only known by MSoft twits.

--Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

XP pro and XP Home - I have three up on it and a third on 2k.

THe XP products say XT in the OS type. Seems stable no issues funky GUI.

Some software loads on professional only - e.g. professional type software. Otherwise not much change.

On my older 2k version - my first conversion - it was nervous time. Lots of older software... - I had it instal to the side - so both could be booted as needed. (never went back) - but the lib's are still in the old directory and the old programs point to them. XPWIN has it's own directory and the new stuff points there.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn