OT: millions of lines of code?

There is an Ozone Hole at the North Pole.... how the hell do you think the Solar Winds get in..... same way as they do at the south pole.... Say I wonder if there are "Southern Lights" Pat

Reply to
patlandy

machines, by contrast, may be vulnerable to wholesale fraud. Our machines are far more complicated and expensive-$3,000 versus $200 for an Indian machine. The U.S. voting machines are loaded with Windows operating systems, encryption, touch screens, backup servers, voice-guidance systems, modems, PCMCIA storage cards, etc. They have millions of lines of code; the Indian machines hardly any at all. Why do the U.S. machines have so many more bells and whistles than those in India? One reason is that we can. For us, the cost of electronics is largely irrelevant (thank you, Chinese workers). This explains why your DVD player has more features than a 747. But there's another reason why the U.S. voting machines are so complex. They are designed to satisfy many different customers-the disabled, for instance. India has a central election authority, while in the United States, manufacturers have to design machines to satisfy

50 different sets of state rules. All of this adds up to more complexity and therefore a greater chance that something could go wrong-either intentionally or by accident.
Reply to
John Scheldroup

Yes, there are Southern Lights; in Latin they're the Aurorae Australis.

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:50:04 GMT, "Guy N. LaFrance" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Hey! Enough of that!

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick

So, in order that the complainers and whiners May exercise their right to not read what I write, they must first squash my right to choose to write what I do write.

-- Lady Chatterly

"I'd like to know why you'd make such an accusation, sock. And I'm more than willing to make much nastier accusations right back, if it's why I think it is." -- theoneflasehaddock

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

It is nor at all complicated. You just have one array of questions and another of integer answers. Both need to be secure and the later when done but that's about all. The dumbest of ASCII terminals with ~1 KB of memory could probably about do it. Encript the data, probably.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

========== Thats what happens when you send a Chicago/Crook(Cook) county model machine to Ohio.

George McDuffee

Reply to
gmcduffee

I suspect there might be some reporting errors here. A million lines of code represents a truly huge project in a very low level language.

Just for the heck of it, I wrote a little routine (during the commercials in CSI) to count the lines of code in my APL2 libraries. The results:

count_lines I have 88 "groups" in my APL2 library. These contain 964 fns&ops with a total of 12416 lines of which 3187 are whole line comments. In addition there are 1180 partial line comments

My libraries cover a wide range of application ranging from arrow flight to structure calculations to numerical integration. A few of these were released to many users.

Various studies and comparisons have shown that, as a general rule, APL will get a job done in about one fifth the lines of well written code. But still, the program under consideration is enourmously simpler than my library system. There is only one large software company that screw up a job that badly.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

[ There are three things a man must do Before his life is done Write two lines in APL And make the buggers run. ] From Stan Kelley-Bootle's ""The Computer Contradictionary"
Reply to
Cliff Huprich

my buddy sam puts labels on control cabinets : "Bang Head Here"

Reply to
Jon Grimm

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:51:57 GMT, "Jon Grimm" calmly ranted:

I love it!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Haste makes waste.

Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Age is honorable and youth is noble.

Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout.

If the patient dies, the doctor has killed him, but if he gets well, the saints have saved him.

-- Lady Chatterly

"This is hilarious. Watching people unable to stop responding to it gives "bot" a whole new definition." -- Woodshifter

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

I was the original poster of this thread. Everyone has confirmed what I suspected. There appears to be two possible explications.

#1 - The contractor and/or programmer was paid by the number of lines of code generated and not by the job.

and/or

#2 - The code is deliberately made obscure, dense and opaque to prevent any analysis and detections of trap-doors, Trojans, voting adjustment routines, etc.

And my taxes are paying for this?

George McD

Reply to
gmcduffee