OT more questions about armature

can i ask you guys again about this Redi-Line generator? last time i posted pics and asked about the gobs of what appear to be JB Weld on the armature.

today i took it to a electric motor shop. the guy put it on a growler and kinda rotated it a bit and waved a hack saw blade over/against some of the segments and said it was ok. would such a test have to be more systematic in order to be sure each "segment" or whatever they're called is ok? to me it seemed his test was kinda random/perfunctory. does a growler like, growl, or something if one of the windings is bad? i mean, is it blatantly obvious one of the wires is broke/disconnected? i was enormously grateful to him for testing it for me but i know nothing about it and he could've just as well sprinkled pixie dust on it and pronounced it ok and i wouldn't know any better.

he told me the blobs of stuff are for balancing. i was astonished. and overjoyed.

he used non-conductive sandpaper to smooth out the ripples in the slip ring(so) and went over the commutators briefly/lightly.

thanks.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

A growler will not find a broken wire. It WILL find a shorted turn or shorted commutator segment.

Why don't you just put it back together with new brushes and see what it does? I'd check the output with a voltmeter, as it is likely to be too high, especially with no load, and no regulator.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson