OT: New requirements for NRA Basic Pistol training

I'm glad to see more requirements that add to public safety and responsibility. Just like people need good skills to properly use a
chain saw, a car, etc. I HAVE refused to pass students that just can't muster the basic skills and I have refused to accept students that I felt funny about in my pre-class interview. I tell them to read a list of publications and check back in six months. They go elsewhere or drop the whole thing. I'm just starting to teach, my classes have been small and I'm learning more than the students! I do have range requirements more strenuous that the new requirements and I will continue with "MY" program, the same as I was taught. I urge my students and everybody else to continue their education as well as continual practice, Basic Pistol and CCW is only the beginning. EVERYBODY should take "Basic Pistol" if you shoot or ever plan to shoot. And, it should be a requirement to purchase a handgun.
NRA adds shooting standards to Basic Pistol The Training Division of the National Rifle Association recently announced changes to the Basic Pistol course. Basic Pistol is frequently used by many instructors as part of the training to obtain a concealed carry license in Ohio.
As noted on the NRA Blog:
In a nutshell, the optional shooting skill requirement that is currently in the basic practical rocker worksheet will become a standard skill requirement in each basic shooting discipline. The NRA has integrated these requirements into the Basic Pistol lesson plans and made them available for download, which is required for all instructors teaching Basic Pistol.
The following changes to the lesson plans are noted:
Have students load five cartridges and fire at a blank target, at their own pace, to achieve a shot group. All shots should be on the target. Be sure that the students rest between each shot.
Repeat the exercise until your student is able to shoot "groups" anywhere on the target. Observe and offer feedback as appropriate. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Continue to have the students load and fire five shots from the bench. The students may now fire on a bullseye target, using a six-o-clock hold so that they can see the front sight clearly in the white area of the target. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Repeat the five shot exercise until your student is able to shoot at least three, five-shot groups within a 9-inch diameter circle in the middle of the target. If you are using the coach/pupil method, have participants reverse the roles and repeat the eight steps. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Have students load five cartridges and fire at a blank target, at their own pace, to achieve a shot group. All shots should be on the target. Be sure that the students rest between each shot.
Repeat the five shot exercise until your student is able to shoot at least three, five-shot groups within a 9-inch diameter circle in the middle of the target. If you are using the coach/pupil method, have participants reverse the roles and repeat the eight steps.
All concealed carry instructors using Basic Pistol as part of their concealed carry curriculum are required to adhere to these new standards. Please help us spread the word by forwarding this story to other instructors you know.