Rather interesting stats on handguns and CCW

GAO: America has 118 million pistols, 8 million conceal-carry permits July 26, 2012 | 5:23 pm

In a new report heralded by the NRA, the General Accountability Office finds that the numbers of Americans with permits to carry a concealed weapon has surged and virtually every state now allows pistols to be carried under garments or even in a car glove box.

"The number of states allowing concealed carry permits is increasing," said the GAO.

The report included two shocking numbers:

-- There are currently 118 million handguns in America, either owned or for sale.

-- Some 8 million Americans already have a concealed carry permit, about 1 million more than previously thought.

The report found that permits are not available only in Washington, D.C. and Illinois and that some states have huge populations of conceal carry permit holders. For example, in South Dakota and Georgia, about 10 percent of the population has a permit. In Virginia,

279,000 have them but in Maryland only 12,000 can legally carry a concealed weapon.

(and Id say that the numbers of handguns posted..is low by at least 25 million. Its commonly believed that there are a bit over 300 million privately owned firearms in general..but other less talked about surveys show the number to be significantly over 400 million)

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

I wonder, "Does that account for legal concealed carry in states that do not require a permit to conceal."

Reply to
Bob La Londe

How would they count the people in Vermont, Alaska and what..Montana?

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

And Arizona

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Montana is complex. Outside of incorporated areas you can carry concealed without a permit, with a few exclusions like lumber camps. In towns a permit is still required. The last time they sat the legislature passed a constitutional carry bill that was vetoed by the governor. Hopefully the next time will be different.

Reply to
rbowman

EVERYBODY should know how to properly handle a firearm even if they never carry, even if they hate guns. The best way to get this training is from an NRA instructor!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Absolutely!!

Say Tom..do we know of any certified and experienced NRA instructors?

Perhaps one in the Cincinnati Ohio area who can recommend others for people who live farther away?

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

Where would that be?

Reply to
CanopyCo

Arizona for one.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

I take it growing up with firearms is no longer a way to learn to handle them?

Reply to
Larry

Unfortunately..in far too many cases...it was never a good way to be taught.

Ive had guys who have owned guns for decades come to classes..and have some of the worst habits and misinformation one could possibly have.

"ever thing I know I larned from my daddy"

And thats not a good thing in far far too many cases.

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

I do just happen to know a fairly good instructor in the Cleveland area...ME! The NRA website can hook anybody up with all kinds of classes from "In Home Defense", "Out Of Home Defense", Basic Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun", "Metallic Cartridge and Shotshell Reloading", State required training for Carry Concealed Handgun and other subjects.

I so enjoy teaching, watching people "Get It" is very satisfying. (and, I've had as many as 22 students at $125 each for a one day class)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I didn't, I didn't learn to shoot until I was 15.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The worst is the guy that buys a gun and thinks that the training comes from the "Osmosis Of Ownership". (my phrase, you may use it on occasion if you like)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

One of these centuries we are definately going to have to shoot together. I think it would be mondo enjoyable for the both of us..and the onlookers...chuckle.

(Grin)

Humm...I just dug out my old Ruger Old Model Army..maybe we can fill the range with good old FFFG powder smoke?

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

OOOOH!!! Very very good indeed! Saved!!

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

You mean, it doesn't? I thought that came with the Y chromosome, along with how to drive, fix cars and intuite about all things mechanical.

-- pyotr filipivich Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake at a pre-school without a Democrat office holder telling them what to look for, where, and why it is Geroge Bush's fault.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I would enjoy that very much! I never had the opportunity to try any black powder, it seems kinda' scary to me. Have you tried the .41 boolits yet?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'd trust a noob woman with a gun before a noob guy EVERY time!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I was just thinking...I enjoy shooting but I actually enjoy teaching and experimenting more. Almost every time I go to the range I've got an agenda. I'm tuning a load, testing some new gear, experimenting with new gun parts or settings or such. I seldom shoot without my notebook and a calculator. Damn, there is a certain element lost.

Reply to
Tom Gardner