OT: Next step in primitive-weapon hunting

We saw a flurry of interest in classic single-shot rifles a couple of decades ago, and muzzleloaders have re-established themselves as hunting weapons among a fairly large group of devotees. Archery hunting is more popular than ever and there are a few adventurers who hunt with slingshots.

Now the NRA is taking the next step in primitive-weapons nostalgia with the NRA Battle Axe -- perfect for squirrel hunters and pheasant hunters who have become bored with modern weapons and are seeking a real challenge. It's designed for throwing, says the NRA, but if it's used for hunting squirrels, it's going to be hell on trees:

Imported, of course, and made from a solid block of 440 stainless. Next year it will be spears and clubs.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If the blade is ding-resistant I'd be tempted to try it on some of my numerous groundhogs.

Dave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

Whew---eee! That's some long-range tomahawk tossing.

You might want to spend the extra $49.95 and get the Ed Ames "Mingo" Signature Model for that kind of work:

(full version)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

========== Help support your 2nd amendment rights:

site to host spear-making class

Published: September 15, 2009

ADDISON ? Chimney Point State Historic Site will host a workshop on how to make and use atlatls, which are spears that were used for hunting before the advent of the bow and arrow.

The $65-per-person workshop, featuring atlatlist Robert Berg, is scheduled for Friday at the historic site in Addison and will allow participants to make their own atlatl. Berg will also teach flint-knapping, stone points and cordage using natural materials.

------------

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Fun, but they're miserable to carry concealed.

-- Ed Huntress

--Life Member, National Spear-Chucking Association

Reply to
Ed Huntress

When I was growing up there was a pair of go-getters on the local fire department, one of whom (on a bet) brought down his deer with just a knife.

Of course, he did it by chasing and tracking the thing for _days_, until it preferred to be knifed than to take another step.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Knife and a loincloth, all a Real Man needs to survive

Reply to
RBnDFW

slingshots.

Why does this seem to be funny? I picture these arent rodent hunters stalking squirrels with hatchets I have a vision of Elmer Fudd.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I have a vision of Wayne LaPierre.

Ever since Wayne's salary went up through the roof (over $910,000 as of three years ago), they've entered all kinds of interesting businesses. The funniest one is the NRA Wine Club. Jeez...

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It's the good thing the deer wasn't armed with a gun, eh?

I don't know what gets into those people. I hunted pigs with a guy in AZ who had killed a 400-pound boar with a knife, somewhere in the old South. It's not my idea of a pleasant day of hunting.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And turn around - the other kind of good time...

A good friend (post this) was Hog hunting - big sport around here -

I have several that are digging up the yard now. It gets really bad when they attack cemetery grounds.

Anyway, He was out hunting on horseback with several other men. I wish I knew him then - he is something now!

The horse lost footing rolled and broke the back of my friend. The docs said he would never walk. That is all he needed to hear - He mentally orders each foot in each step. He walks with a cane.

He has poor circulation below the waist and no feeling. Mind over matter.

Another friend mentioned this when a new person just met him - don't talk to him as he traverses the floor - wait until he stops. He folds up with a mind distraction over a level he can handle. Tough dude and a fine man.

Another friend catches 200-400 hogs a year in traps. He sells them.

Mart>> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Last year or the year before, Pennsylvania approved the atlatl and dart for primitive weapons deer season. Can thrown axe be far behind? (or just chase it down and cut its throat:)

Somebody did a video for Anthropology research showing killing a deer with a flint-tipped lance. Saw it years ago.

Reply to
John Husvar

Ive taken Russian Boar with a spear, here in California.

Seldom thrown, mostly stabbing.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have a vision of Ed Ames on the Johnny Carson show. "I didn't even know you were Jewish!"

the wrap]

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

[mind the wrap]

We're on the same track on this one, Rich.

HEY! While we're talking about the NRA Store, can somebody tell me why, oh why, the Charlton Heston Limited Edition pocket knife comes packed in a tin can?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I don't know. Maybe they've designed it for a flat trajectory, for open-country hunting. You need a high-velocity arm to get the best performance out of it.

That was great.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

was wondering why the axe isn't inscribed with the nra logo. and the weight, doesn't "1.75 ounces" seem awfully light? "the shrew hunter"

saw this in the paper today and reminded me of this thread. it's a trend. revenge of the nerds (he's a chemistry student).

Hopkins Student With Samurai Sword Kills Theft Suspect

William Wixon

> [mind the wrap]

The tin is a Collectible?

Until I checked the link, I assumed you meant "tin can" like beer or soup or C rations. But this tin is collectible and/or commemorative. I have a set of two decks of playing cards in a "Jack Daniels" tin. I'm seriously considering putting it up on Ebay.

green deck has been opened, but never played.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Because it lasts. Look at tin roofs and the Christmas cake tins left over from years ago - Mom and Grandma - pretty cookie boxes...

Copper and brass corrode with things they tough. Tin won't corrode.

Mart>> >>>> We saw a flurry of interest in classic single-shot rifles a couple of

> [mind the wrap]

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Martin H. Eastburn